Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Flutterbyes and Callapitters


Tonight I finally had the opportunity to sew for just a little while. It has been what seems like a very long time, as we've been so busy lately. I had a meeting at church, and when I came home, I laid the butterfly blocks in place on the design wall and stitched the first two rows together.
. . . .
These blocks have been hanging around for years (literally). Desertsky organized the swap and the criteria was butterflies on Fossil Fern black, finished at 9 inches. I liked the ones I received enough to want to make more, and so I did. Bonnie was in this swap, too, and she made a wall hanging out of hers a few years ago.
. . . .
It occurred to me that flutterbyes start out as callapitters, so I decided to put one of them down in the corner, kind of anticipating his future.
. . . .
Once I got the blocks made, I couldn't decide how to set them. So I had a cyberconsultation with my friend Sharon (you might want to check her blog using the link to the right) to see what she thought. I liked her idea and then decided that rather than use just one batik for the alternating blocks, I'd use lots of batiks. So it took awhile to get these blocks made.
. . . .
Now I'm sewing the rows together. They'll get a solid batik border of some sort and then a final outer border of the black Fossil Fern. I'll post a picture when it is all finished.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job, Nancy! I love batiks on black.

Kathy B

Cheryl said...

This butterfly quilt is WONDERFUL! I love your use of dark background fabrics!