Thursday, July 05, 2007

Frenchy Bag

This afternoon I started my Frenchy Bag. Tonight I finished it! Singing the praises of Kathy, who sent me the pattern, all the while. It was so easy to do! It took almost as long to cut it out as it did to make it! And there was no handwork. What a joy!
. . . .
I had bought my fabric at the LQS earlier in the week, deciding to use the same fabric for both the top part of the bag and the lining.
. . . .
I made a few changes to the pattern. First, I used iron-on interfacing instead of baste-in interfacing. Second, I thought that the pockets inside the bag were going to be very deep, which they did turn out to be. I wanted a couple of smaller pockets to hold my keys and my chapstick. So I made a 6 x 6" pocket against the lining so that the big deep pocket would just about cover it. This worked out well.
. . . .
I put another small pocket on top of one of the deep pockets. I thought that the deep pockets were going to be a little bit too big. I sewed a vertical seam up one of them, thinking I would divide it in half, but forgot that I needed to do that at the time of attaching it to the lining, so that didn't quite work out. But the two little pockets are great.
. . . .
The pattern called for a magnetic snap. I bought one, but when it was time to put it in, I decided to use some velcro instead -- it was quicker, easier, and will hold the bag closed just as well.
. . . .
I have had such a pleasant afternoon and evening. And tomorrow I ill be taking my new bag to school -- for show and tell!
. . . .
Here's a preview!




2 comments:

atet said...

That bag looks like such fun! I've seen this pattern around and been toying with getting it. Hmmmn. Loved Bill's quilt too! How fun is that!

Carol said...

Oh it is so cute!