Being Green

First it was the kids at school.

And then it was the preacher at church.

See, the thing is, I don't like to drink water from a glass or a cup unless it is part of a meal. And I've been told repeatedly how important it is to drink sufficient water throughout the day. So the whole bottled water craze has been wonderful for me. I keep a bottle on my desk, one in my car, one at the computer at home. And I drink enough water! Early on it struck me that it was expensive to continue to buy bottles of water, and so I took to refilling them from the water fountain or from the kitchen faucet (can't drink water from the bathroom tap, but that's a whole nuther issue). Would refill 10-12 times and then get a new bottle.

The kids at school, unsatisfied that the only recycling we were doing was paper, demanded that the school acquire comingled recycling containers for plastic beverage bottles and aluminum soda cans. This was great. Then someone noticed how quickly the containers were filling up, how many empty plastic water bottles are discarded each day. I began to feel some pangs of conscience. I tried refilling my bottles more times. I tried getting up from my desk and going to the fountain.

Then last week at church we had a sermon -- a part of a series on stewardship -- on environmental stewardship. The preacher provided a Lenten challenge: that instead of giving up cookies or some such for Lent, to choose to make a change that would benefit the environment. And that was when I knew it was time.

Now I have a quart-size permanent -- not disposable, not recycleable -- water bottle on my desk. In the morning I go to the cafeteria and fill it half-way with ice and then the rest of the way with water. Stays nice and cold until lunchtime when I get to do it all over again. Two more, one for home and one for the car, will complete the set-up.

Kermit was right: It may not be easy being green, but it has to be done!

Comments

The Calico Cat said…
I have 2 of those permanent water bottles - I became too cheap to buy the bottled water & our fridge has a filter... Now if I could only refill it more often & remember to bring it with me on my way....
Laurie Ann said…
That's a tough one! I love the bottles of sparkling ice drink from Costo. I drink that and it helps me avoid pop. But the bottles. I do refil them with water, but they still add up.
Greg said…
Our church is observing "green lent" this year. Each Sunday during the Lenten season, worship focuses on a specific aspect of being "green." So, instead of giving up something for lent this year, I am engaging myself in greener practices. (Actually, that DOES involve giving up some things for me).
I love my Camelbak bottle. I carry it where ever I go and where ever I go, why there it is! It is especially easy to drink from while driving.
Juliann in WA said…
Wonderful! My Lenten journey includes using my water bottle and my commuter mug every day. The thing that convinced me is that the little white tops on the take away coffee takes many years to break down.
tami said…
Good for you! It's so simple after you get used to it. I'm proud of you. :cD
atet said…
You know? That sounds like the best lenten "sacrifice" request I've heard in a long time. The last time I gave someting up for lent -- um, I pretty much gave up giving up something for lent. You've got me rethinking my position. Thanks.
Unknown said…
HOW DRY I AM
HOW WET I'LL BE
IF I DON'T FIND
THE BATHROOM KEY
Those dratted plastic water bottles are a real environmental hazard and use materials which are also hazardous. Good for you. But don't you have to visit the bathroom frequently as a result of your consumption of so much water? How indelicate of me, but one wonders.
*karendianne. said…
Oh I love this "green lent" concept. Thanks for sharing. You've got me thinkin'
Angela said…
I HAVE to drink tons of water cause of my health and our water is yucky here. Can you say PSB's! So bottled water too. But I started buying distilled water. And we reuse and reuse and reuse! It is good you are drinking so much. Will really help you stay healthy. I feel like a baby dependent on her bottle, cause I am toting one everywhere I go. LOL