Just Hit "Escape"!

Yup. That's the Escape key. And he's escaping.

And so am I.

Back in October I added a part-time job to my menu of activities. Things on the housing market were discouraging and I thought that an additional 8 or so hours per week would be fine. After all, I had done this with little or no stress during the years that I helped the foot doctor.

I returned to medical transcription through the agency I'd worked for many years ago. Eight hours wasn't enough for them; the minimum amount of work that they would accept from a part-timer took ten, and sometimes twelve, hours to complete.

My sewing time suffered. My reading time all but disappeared. The opportunity to be spontaneous with friends vanished. Cooking more and more involved the crock-pot and take-out. But worst of all was the invasion into time with family. I spent too much of the time that Amy and Andrew were around at Christmas hooked up to the computer. I missed a day with Sam because of transcription. The precious hours of sitting with Joe and hand-sewing in front of a movie were awfully scarce.

Medical transcription for anyone who knows the language is a great at-home job, and it is something I look forrward to doing in three or four years when I retire from the school. For me, right now, it can't be an add-on. This morning I gave my two weeks notice.

I just missed my life so much.

Comments

Karen said…
Nancy, good for you in realizing what you needed to do and doing it!

Karen in WI
The Calico Cat said…
Good for you...

How did you get into it? (training) can one do it full time? Is there enough work to go around?
Marla said…
This will be chalked up to did it and it;s over! But Ohhhh...I hope I don't feel the same way. I accept a fulltime summer job. I haven't worked in the summer in about 10 years.
Anonymous said…
Life is too short -- I'm glad that you are making a good choice for YOU!!!
Hugs, Ray
CONNIE W said…
I did that for 17 years as part of my job as medical office manager. I didn't mind it at all but I don't think my wrists could stand it anymore.
Kim said…
Good for you! Oftentimes, taking on extra work just isn't worth it! I took three years "off" work when my kids were little but took in typing on the side. Most of the year I got no work and we were too broke to do much, and then for about one or two months a year, I'd work 14 to 18 hours days and be so busy that at least part of the money would fly out the door on fast food and other "conveniences" to allow me to work those hours. It was crazy! I think my quality of life was better during the times when we had less money but more time to spend together as a family than when the work was pouring in.
LoieJ said…
I know that I couldn't handle work-at-home because I'm not good at making and keeping boundaries.

But a good medical transcriptionist is hard to find. Apparently this isn't a class offered in the community colleges any more.
atet said…
Good for you -- sometimes you just have to say "enough is enough". I know I did, and I don't regret it a bit. I miss the money, I like my sanity even more.
Tanya said…
Hi Nancy.

I'm slowly getting back to blog reading... and I was interested in this post as I've been trying to justify NOT taking another job. Did I really want to give up the life I have right now? Not really and I loved hearing about the things you've felt you've missed while you were working.
*karendianne. said…
Congratulations for doing this. How healthy, good for your soul.