Snow Day, Near Philadelphia

Yesterday the halls were abuzz over the possibility of a snow day.  Kids, staff, teachers, even administrators all wishin' and hopin'.  At one point I walked down the hall and three Middle School teachers were having an impromptu meeting outside a classroom.  "Oh, there's Nancy," one of them said.  "Maybe she knows."  I didn't.  But I was a-wishin' and a-hopin' along with the rest of them!

Last night Facebook was full of people working various charms to assure a snow day:  turning their 'jamas inside out, putting a spoon under the pillow, a new one -- putting ice in the toilet (leading to the question "tank or bowl?" and the inevitable fear of doing the wrong one), and the old standard snow dance (rather beautifully choreographed, in print, anyway, by the Lower School music teacher).  I went so far as to vow to make a Gift For No Occasion today for someone at school, should we be blessed with the day.

When the phone rang at 5:38, the news was excellent:  None of this two-hour delay business, but a full closure!  Looking outside, one wonders why -- the streets are cleared and it has begun to melt.  But no matter.

I made a nice hot breakfast for he who went out right away with the snowblower, put the first load in the laundry, and am heading downstairs to sew for as much of the day as I can.  I joined a PIF on Facebook; the first handmade item is finished and the second well on its way.  But the very first thing I'm going to do is make the Gift For No Occasion for someone at school!  Stay tuned!


Comments

Nancy said…
Oh you definitely had the right mojo going...
Our schools have been closed for two days and I haven't even tried the roads yet.. just a complete chicken when it comes to snow and ice. We had a total of about 6 inches, but the drifting is the worse part..drifts as big as 25 inches in places on my front lawn...
altar ego said…
If I could ever keep the sewing table cleared I might actually be able to get something done, too. At the moment, however, I have cross stitch projects for grandchildren that are at the top of my priority list.

What is a pif group?

Enjoy your snow day(s)!
Gretchen said…
I'm on snow day #3 here near Atlanta. We are loving it! Warm and snug and sewing all day.
Denise in PA said…
Lucky duck! For us, it was just enough to be a pain, I'm sitting here at work - we didn't even have a delayed opening o:(. Oh well, I won't feel guilty taking my holiday on Monday!! Have a great snow day!
Anonymous said…
I, too, want to know what a PIF is??? You East coast people have a different language than us out West!! Love, your CA cuz
Ray said…
Lovely!! Enjoy!!! I think your gift is such a sweet idea - that's really why you have the snow day, ya know!?
Pat said…
In the absence of an poutright snow day, I used to root for late arrivals for my teacher daughter. Then I found out that her district has a new policy that requires staff to be in school at the regular time, even though the students are arriving 2 hours late. Guess they don't care if the someone on the staff skids off the road coming to school on bad roads -- not the district's liability.

Hope you are having a wonderful mid-week hiatus, and make progress on your Pay It Forwards!
Cathy Burk said…
Ah ha!!! Pay it Forward! Thanks, Pat!