Oh, Baby!

The baby quilt I made using the left-overs from Justin's quilt (which is at the machine quilter's presently) is a flimsy.  It is 51 x 37 inches, a peculiar size.  I've made the binding out of the green, and it will put away in flimsy + binding stage until it is needed.  I enjoyed figuring out how to make this quilt and am pleased with how it turned out.

Speaking of babies, my sister has become a trained volunteer with our local hospital's outpatient hospice. In talking with the volunteer director there, she learned that there is a need for quilts of various sizes for the hospice patients, including children.  Our little monthly hand-sewing group has committed to each making a child-size quilt over the summer, to be delivered to the hospice after our September meeting.

I was horrified to learn that there is a particular pressing need for incubator-sized quilts.  How terribly sad to think that there are infants being served by a hospice unit.  This had not occurred to me.  I Googled "incubator-size quilt" and came up with either 12 x 18 or 16 x 20.  I've not made a quilt that small, I think, and plan to start one this coming week.  I'd like to think I could do one each month for this need.

Comments

Nancy said…
My daughter is an RN and director of a large hospice in Missouri. I usually make a couple of quilts for them to raffle off. They use the funds to pay for miscellaneous items for patients. They have paid electric bills, heating and cooling, medication, and once they paid for a patients family to visit when they didn't have gas money.. As sad as the job is, she loves it...
Susan said…
Nancy, is your quilt make with the Fiddlesticks pattern? I used that pattern to make a yet-to-be quilted top last year and had a lot of fun with it.

So sad that these little ones need such special care. . .
LizA. said…
What a lovely little baby quilt.

How sad, I never would of thought about that either. Hmmm, think that's an easy size to be able to easily whip up something. Are there any other requirements as far as type of batting or backing to use?
pcflamingo said…
The quilt group I sew for makes receiving blankets of just 2 layers of flannel, about 36" x 36" for babies and preemies. We also make bereavement blankets for the preemies/newborns that don't survive. Those are really sad to work on and I always pray over them for the baby and the family.
Unknown said…
Our hospice likes to have quilts about 40 by 45-50 for our adult patients too.
This is a size that can be backed without piecing and is used as a splash of comfort and color on the beds. They do not have to be laundered daily like sheets and we offer them to the family after the death.
Simple width of fabric strips and simple quilting in channels works great.
Incubator quilts can be made from a single block. Our guild takes in spare blocks and uses them for this project.
Lynn Dykstra said…
sorry--my comment got published under my son Seth's account!
Janet O. said…
You've made a very fun baby quilt.
I think it would be an emotional experience to make incubator hospice quilts. I'd be thinking the whole time of the precious little recipients. But I'm sure it would be a thoughtful touch appreciated by the families.
Very effective design, and yes, sad to think babies tat lttle can be at the hospice stage. I have made pretty baby clothes for the incubator premies, so much nicer than seeing your little baby in the hospital gowns.
Irene said…
Our Guild make small 'quilts' for the preemies at our local hospital. The nurses request that they don't have batting as it makes them too heavy for the little ones. We usually do a cotton front with a flannel back and stitch it all around then turn it outside in and stitch an X through it to hold the 2 layers together.
Pat said…
The quilt is wonderful!!

I like the idea of a very light preemie/incubator quilt. I have lots of flannel.