Bag Lady and One More Cow

I'm turning into a Bag Lady again.  This has happened before during the summer, when a particular pattern gets under my skin and I start producing bags like crazy.

My wonderful neighbor is a caterer; she has a stall at an upscale "farmer's market" and every couple of weeks surprises us on a Saturday evening with a care package of some goodies that didn't sell.  One night it was her salmon cakes and they were so good that we now have a nearly weekly trip to the market to buy them.  She's a lovely gal who is known as "Blackberry's godmother," and has an explosion of curly red hair.  When I saw this fabric, with some chefs that resemble her, I had to make her a bag.

Someone connected with school asked me if I'd make her a bag to carry her knitting in exchange for a pair of hand-knit socks.  I'd have to be a fool to reject that offer.  I've never had hand-knit socks.  Then an early childhood teacher who is some kind of an artist got into the deal and she's making me something yet to be revealed in exchange for a big bag to haul things back and forth to school.

I decided to improvise some prairie points on these bags, after a commenter on my last post mentioned them, and I like their look.  The butterflies are for the teacher and the tribal ladies (please click to see how gorgeous they are) are for the knitter.

And I cut out another bag last night!

The postal person brought a cow from all the way across the sea and then some.  Annemiek in The Netherlands make this gorgeous gal, complete with identifying ear button.  And look at the little bitty purse she made!

I know that there are a few people I'm still indebted to, ladies who have sent me cows in exchange for something on my end.  Taking care of my end of this deal is high on my list for this week, and I thank you for your patience.

Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
The bags are absolutely stunning, but (I've been distracted by the next photo...)
OH, that COW! Too, too cute; and with an accompanying purse... oh, my! How many cows will occupy your quilt, m'dear? You're going to need a giant one to accommodate such a beautiful bevy of bovines.
Nancy said…
Your bovine is MOOOvalous :o) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

and I love the bags... what pattern?
Lori said…
I love every single bag! niec work Nancy!!
Janet O. said…
Those bags are so wonderful! I am a bag lady--you should see my collection--so I know a good bag when I see one, or two--- or three, etc. : )
Very cool cow with an ear tag. Now that is art imitating life!
Anonymous said…
I've been thinking of making another bag and now you show your beautiful ones. I'll have to get past the thinking stage and start doing. Thanks for sharing.
cindy
LizA. said…
I just love the prairie points on the bags. Wonderful! Yet another wonderful cow. I can't wait to see what you do with this wonderful herd....
Gari in AL said…
Love the bags, especially the chef one. I started on a summer purse a couple of weeks ago but got sidetracked. Guess if I want that purse before the summer is over I better get back to it. Thanks.
Anonymous said…
I am going to make a tote for an statewide August conference my legal group is hosting with fabric I received in a February drawing at a dinner with my Arizona quilters. You have inspired me to get started. How long does your type bag take to make? I just finished a tablecloth from "teacup" fabric a friend gave me as a thank you (very nice surprise) and my project this summer is the quilt for my Cal king bed. Love your choice of fabrics. Your CA cuz
Annemiek said…
So glad my girl finally made it across the pond. My, she sure took her time and I thought she would never arrive!
Nice bags!!
I am the lucky recipient of a previous Nancy Bag Frenzy, and mine is madeof Bill and is lovelry indeed. Maybe we could form a club and meet with all our bags some day.Maybe take the Bag Lady to lunch, or something. ANd, you see, when I l look at the bag, I think of her. In a nice way, of course.
altar ego said…
Your bags are a delight! I have a collection of fabric that is destined for bags, but have to clear out the mental space (and a bit of physical space) to have at them. You are an inspiration--nothing new there!