In Which the Ballet Comes to our School

There are many joys in working at an independent school.  One of them has to do with serendipity -- one never knows when a treasured moment will occur.

A local ballet troupe uses our stage a couple of times each year and while I never can remember when it is that they are coming, I always know when they have arrived.  I walked over to another division today and the lobby in front of the auditorium was full of slender girls in poses that no one else I know could assume.  With their tights and their buns, they were captivating.  It took me back to my childhood when a book, Ballet Shoes, by Noel Streatfield captivated me.  I read it over and over and over, wishing that I could take ballet lessons.

Coming out of the cafeteria after lunch, I passed a group of middle school boys sitting on the floor, engrossed in conversation:

First Boy:  It's some ballet, I think.  I don't get it.  I don't get ballet.

Second Boy:  Me neither.  It's weird.

Third Boy:  Oh, I do.  I like ballet.  Except that they are on their toes all the time.  But other than that, I like ballet.

I don't ever want to work anywhere else.

Comments

Janet O. said…
Love the conversation. So profound! : )
Salem Stitcher said…
Little boys having conversations always fascinates me. Add in the subject of ballet and it's got to be a glimpse of magic...the kind that makes you smile all day.
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
I love this! (...and your reference to their "buns" made me laugh out loud!)