Pot Holders in Remission

My pot holder making frenzy seems to have concluded for a bit.  I had a wonderful week and a half making pot holders, trying several methods of finishing them.  The method I liked the best was to measure the finished top and add two inches in width and two inches in length and cut a piece of backing fabric this size.  Centering the top and layers of insulated batting, I pinned them in place and then double folded the inch hang-over and hand stitched the binding in place.  Yes, this took longer than the other methods, but I really liked the way they finished.  We eat our breakfasts at the island in the kitchen, and have taken to keeping our pills there so we can remember to take them.  I had put a little metal tray there to hold all of those bottles and today decided we deserved something better.  A bunch of William Morris blue scraps went together to make a 9 x 11 mat (regular batting, not the insulated type was used) and I'm pleased with the result.

I made four pot holders like this one and gave two of them away.  The fabric was left over from some Christmas stocking I'd made to hold small gifts and since I've seldom met a Log Cabin that I didn't like, I thought that would be a nice change from the random scrappy crumb batiks.  The two that I kept may be used as pot holders at some point, but for now, they are nice insulated mats on the table -- one for the pineapple stuffing and the other for the scalloped cheesy potatoes.

This mat, made with more William Morris, is also on the table at present, though I don't have another hot-hot dish planned.  I thought it looked pretty there with the cyclamen that someone gave me earlier in the week.

So my Christmas sewing is finished.  I gave one quilt as a gift and have another to give tomorrow.  A wedding gift quilt is in the binding stage in the living room.

Looking ahead, a friend has a birthday coming up and I think an apron is in order.  With a pair of matching pot holders.

Thinking briefly about political correctness in holiday greetings, and certainly not wanting to offend a sensitive non-believer by saying "Merry Christmas," I'm remembering what the angels said to the shepherds, and think no one could be offended by their message.  So to all of my readers, whatever your faith tradition might be -- if you even have a faith tradition -- "Peace on earth; good will to mankind."

With love,


Comments

"Why didn't I think of that" she said. I have tried making potholders from my orphan blocks and the binding was always such a PITA. Your method is so brilliant! Thanks, Nancy.
The first few pieces I made used this method of backing and binding; I like it and it worked really well for what i needed. May each step we take lead the way to Peace... in our hearts and our world.
Salem Stitcher said…
Merry Christmas to you & yours, my friend!
Anonymous said…
A Merry Christmas to you and yours. Thanks for sharing so much this past year.
cindy
Janet O. said…
Dear Nancy, it has been a pleasure to get to know you through your blog. You are a thoughtful, thinking (there is a difference), creative woman, as is evidenced in each post.
Your holiday greeting is very thoughtful. To you I can say, "Merry Christmas!"
Jindi's Cottage said…
You've gone and given me ideas!!! Thanks for sharing your method...I've got the insulbrite and the one pot holder I made as a test drive a while ago isn't the greatest so kept it for me but your method is hitting the right notes in my head so I think I'll give it a try...
love your "pill mat"...
suz said…
Hope you had a wonderful, blessed Christmas Nancy.
Deb said…
Nancy,

Do you have a pattern for the potholders, or would you be willing to share? I'd love to make a bunch, but have no idea where to start...thanks!