I Survived

Yup. I survived the pilgrimage to the KoPM. Survived and then some. Despite the thick traffic on Mall Blvd., there was plenty of space in the parking garage on the bottom level. We knew how to get through the first building to the crosswalk to the second, and upon arriving at the second, were greeted by a pleasant soul wearing an untimely Santa Claus Hat with his guard uniform, and he asked if he could help us. He provided simple directions to the Apple Store. That place was populated by three bazillion folks surprisingly of various ages (i.e., we weren't the only bewildered geezers), and about 10% were wearing blue employee shirts. We found the iPad cover and also got a cleaning kit and quickly we were on our way back to the first building; Santa Claus told us on our way out that our next destination was on the top floor. And, indeed it was. While I went in to exchange the slippers (and yes, they had the correct size and the clerk and guard were cheerful and pleasant), Joe went elsewhere to begin another errand.  I then went on to find the Rockport store all on my own and again, was greeted by a charming, knowledgeable and energetic person.  This one was named Christine and she helped me find brown shoes to wear with dresses and black shoes to wear with pants, both of the things on  my list.  There was a sale in process:  Buy two pair, save $50; buy three pair, save $100.  I had Christine hold my two pair and went back to find Joe, who had said he needed shoes.  And, behold, they had just what he needed and off we went to the food court for a scrumptious salad.

And then it was time to go back to the errand Joe had begun -- at the Verizon store. He'd bought us each an iPhone. Friends, you have to know what a leap this is for me. I've had a couple of different pay-as-you-go phones that each cost fewer than $25. I feel like I've been promoted! Because I'm [slightly] familiar with the iPad, learning this gizmo is not going to be so hard. It's very, very cute, with a little soft pink protective case and my very own data plan. As my sister said, "Welcome to the 21st Century!"

Comments

It sounds like you might actually enjoy going back to the mall again! Yes welcome to the 21st century. I got my smart phone when I turned 70 in 2010 and I can even plug a little thing into it and take credit card payments. Who knew?
Anonymous said…
When I went from dialup to DSL my daughter welcomed me out of the dark ages! That same daughter bought me an iPad 2 for my 70th birthday, which she had inscribed with my name and "Proud Apple Owner Since 1980." However, I've resisted getting an iPhone (although Siri is tempting!) because I rarely use my cheap "pay as you go" cell phone. Maybe I need to rethink my phone use?
Helen said…
I KNEW you would make it through your ordeal, but my goodness, you were really productive in your endeavors!!!

Congratulations on your purchaes!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Oh, you will LOVE your iPhone! I finally got my mac laptop upgraded to Lion and have the Cloud active. TOO cool ... change it one place and it automatically changes on the other without any cords.

(When I got my first smart phone, I likened it to a memory upgrade for my brain. Couldn't do without the calendar/contacts now!)

Congrats on what sounds like an excellent adventure.
Janet O. said…
I'm glad you were greeted by friendly, helpful people on your "grand day out." How lucky is that to actually find what you went for? And no fabric store in the bargain?
An iphone--Wow! My boys both have them and are trying to talk DH into getting one and joining their family plan. He still doesn't have a cell phone of any sort. Enjoy!!
OT Quilter said…
I bought an iPhone today, too! I am now a complete Apple convert and loving it. I sat and downloaded and organized Apps tonight so I am ready for anything!
Lynley said…
It's murphy's law isn't it; if you'd expected just to pop in quickly for what you needed it would have all gone horribly wrong! People knock pessimism, but sometimes it makes you pleasantly surprised...
antique quilter said…
well maybe I need a trip down to this mall with my DD's
they would love it I bet!!!!
ok your going to love your Iphone it was the best purchase I ever made!
glad you were greeted with helpful happy people and survived the mall!
Kathie
Linda K said…
Helpful, energetic, cheerful, knowledgeable, clerks and a guard??? at KOP??????? Wow, you really did have a good day! I used to live " a bit farther from Philadelphia" and would venture to KOP on occasion. Best thing about it was the reward of a Cinnabon ;-). Now I live 3 miles from The Mall of Georgia, biggest mall in the Southeast and I avoid it like the plague! BTW, love hearing about your trips to Sauders and Burkholders- I miss them...
Denise in PA said…
Whew! Glad you made it back! I haven't been to KoPM in probably 20 years. I hope I never have to go to the Apple store. Wait, if I do I think I'll go to Cherry Hill, it's a LOT less scary!
Juliann said…
so happy you survived. I avoid malls too but my i-phone, after almost 2 years, I don't think I could live without it :)
Pat said…
An iPad AND an iPhone??!! Holy progress, Batman! That's awesome, Nance. I gave Rod an iPhone for Christmas, and he loves it.

Robert Kaufman fabrics has a really nifty FREE quilting app called QuiltingCalc : )
LoieJ said…
I've been to KoPM when my daughter actually lived within walking distance from there. Her husband was a youth director in a nearby Lutheran church for two years while she was in seminary. Yes it is enormous. Since I live in the same state with the Mall of America (what a presumptuous title) I kind of have the same feelings you do about these places. KoPM seems to be more confusing and more upscale. MoA has lots of entertainment. My S-I-L took us all there the day after thanksgiving in 2010, for which I did not give thanks. Husband and I mostly sat and people watched, as we're not much for shopping. The grandboys got to go on a couple of the rides, and husband took them in to see the aquarium. We decided it was too much $$ to all go in there for 20 minutes. I also shopped there once with my daughter who was on a search for specific Nike shoes. Why oh why are there at least 6 stores selling Nike brand, but none of them have the same models? We survived only because we had cell phones. Good luck with your iphones. You may be shocked at your bill.
quiltmom anna said…
It sounds like you had a very productive day Nancy! It is great to find wonderful deals all in one place. My husband has an I Phone and loves it. I still have avoided owning a cell phone- not a great need but I imagine one day my boys will say that perhaps I need it.
We have a very large mall here in Edmonton- I believe it is in the top 5 in size of North America. I went there in the summer to go to the movie " The Help" . I don't remember the last time I was there to shop. I so can relate to your post. I prefer smaller places without huge crowds.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Regards,
Anna
Susan said…
Had to smile at your first post about the KoP mall, but was sorry you closed comments for it. I could have told you about Steve's Sewing and Vacuum and their 20% off fabric sale. It's just down 202 from the mall with parking right out front. I would have had one further tip--I never park on the bottom level since it's in the flood plain of a nearby dam.

Isn't the Apple store crazy? The rest of the mall can look like a ghost town, but there is ALWAYS a crowd in the Apple store. Same for the one I went to Ardmore recently. You will love your iPhone, I'm sure. Yesterday, we had some young visitors and one of them asked to see a children's movie. My daughter whipped out her iPhone and got onto the Netflix website and we had a movie on the screen in no time.

It was so interesting to read the comment from PS. I know her daughter and son-in-law as we attended that Lutheran church. What a small world.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.