After our brunch guests had headed home to D.C., and after things were cleaned up, and after a fifteen-minute snooze in the recliner, I went downstairs to tackle the heaps of laundry and to do some sewing. First up was a group project for the Uvulati, the monthly hand sewing group. One of our international members, Judi the Blogless (Thus Far) had sent some beautiful fabrics for the group to use to make a quilt for a hospice Veteran. We'd divided them up a week or so ago, and my task was to make two star blocks. They each measure 12" finished.
At this point, my plan was to get out my CW and my DP tool and begin my Dresden Plates project. What I wasn't counting on was Janet the Temptress who had posted on her blog some of the cutest darned basket blocks I've ever seen (and y'all know I've seen a few basket blocks!). I made this one out of some William Morris scraps. It measures 4" finished. In all likelihood, it will be joined by some relatives . . . .
I also made a mug rug, not pictured, for a one-on-one swap project.
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about making myself a top. I really enjoyed doing it, and was proud of the good work I'd done. But when I tried it on, alas, it was not for me. The neckline was too wide and showed off straps and things, and the gathers drew too much attention to where there already is plenty going on. I knew I'd never wear it. So I was disappointed. Then I realized my friend Carol is about the same size I am but cut differently. She loved the top and it fit her fine, but needed some additional length. With the ruffles on the shoulders, it was only natural to add a little bottom ruffle for Carol.