Beating the Heat [NOT] Near Philadelphia

We came home last evening after a few days away to find it was just as hot, or perhaps even hotter, than when we'd left! Our destinations were State College, Pennsylvania, where Joe's brother is on the faculty, and Kent, Ohio, where we once lived.  Both of our hosts showed us a lovely time -- in State College we enjoyed the Arts Festival, which we'd heard about for a long while but never visited, toured the relatively new Arboretum, and spent family time with a couple of very good cooks. In Kent, we stayed close to home, venturing out only on Sunday to go to church and to have a tour of the downtown rehab that is going on. Again, our hostess prepared delicious meals for us, and the conversation and laughter seldom lagged.

I'd prepped three of the Dresdens to take along for busy work. Being pretty inexperienced at applique, I thought I might finish one or two of them. I finished all three and have now got the rest of them ready to work on. With the hot weather, I don't want to be hand-quilting or binding something warm on my lap, so these little guys are just right. I'm enjoying the process and have been thinking about possibly doing another Dresden at some point. If this weather continues, these will be finished in no time!

Comments

Gretchen said…
It has been too hot everywhere this summer. I am happy to have handwork too. Lounging and stitching is much more agreeable than sewing and ironing for some reason (although this is all in my head since I am in the A/C). Sounds like you had lovely visits. My BF went to Penn State for undergrad. Unfortunately with the horrific scandal/crimes, he got rid of all t-shirts, etc. I can't imagine being a faculty member there.
Janet O. said…
Look at you go with this applique. I'm impressed. The only Dresden Plate quilt I've ever made was using plates I bought on ebay. I love it, but I like the colors of your better.
Annemiek said…
Just watched a newsitem here about the temps in your corner of the world. YOU are longing for rain and cooler weather as WE here desparately long for a bit more warmth. We have autumn instead of summer with nothing but rain. I still wear sweaters and cardigans, warm socks and comfy jeans!If I could i'd sent a bit of our summer to you!
LizA. said…
I guess you don't want to hear that it's currently 68 here. They say we should get a high of 72 today....

Lovely Dresden. Makes me want to some. Actually, I want to do ANYTHING that involves fabric as long as it's not putting it in boxes.....
Denise in PA said…
Those Dresden's are addicting, aren't they?! I loved doing mine and will do another quilt of them! I'm about finished with the heat too - enough already (and it's only July!!)
Jindi's Cottage said…
Once you get going with the actual stitching on applique it is pretty quick...loving the dresdans so far...hope it has started to cool down for you...I saw the sun this morning, almost didn't recognise it! Roll on Spring I am SO over winter...