Chance Encounter

If I'm in one of those stopped-forever-on-the-interstate situations and this person is in front of me, I can pass the time making up a story about the driver and his family. But beyond that, I think having a lot of stickers all over the car is sort of tacky. Joe detests them, and won't have any; he's in despair because I have three. Three smallish ones. Confined to the bumper. On the left.

Last evening I had to run out for an errand and when I came home, I parked in front of the house. As I was getting out of the car, a shiny-clean, pretty blue, somewhat older car pulled up and the window went down. A very cute clean-cut red-haired fellow called out, "Excuse me?" My first thought was he wanted directions to someplace, but he was young and coming from the direction of the high school, so I didn't think that was likely. So I smiled at him.

"I've seen your car out front sometimes when I drive by here. And I just wanted to tell you, I like your bumper sticker."

Amazed, I quickly considered which one he meant: Women for Obama, Marriage Equality, or Sweden? So I said, "Oh! I'm not really much of a bumper sticker person, but those things are important to me."

"You bet!" he replied, and then flashed his phone at me so I could see his Marriage Equality sticker. "That's really important," I agreed. "We've got the right President, too!" He added. So I said, "Let's hope we can keep him."

And then this adorable kid said, "I just turned eighteen and I can't wait to vote for him!"

Wasn't that just the nicest thing? I'm still smiling.


Comments

Bobbi said…
Oh you are just a softie for cute red heads. Admit it.
oohh woodman's! fried clam heaven!
I hope there are a lot like him.
Gosh I hope all the young people are paying attention cuz I despair of the old folks I really do.
Anonymous said…
I hope a lot of people vote for him this time around too cuz the thought of the other guy winning just frightens the you know what out of me.
OT Quilter said…
Here's hoping there are many more like him around this fall! (Although I was VERY distressed to read the article in the NYT about PA voting rights laws and the state rep who crowed about passing stricter voter ID laws that would help elect Romney. UGH.
Hooraay. Let's hope for many more like that young man. I haven't put my Women For Obama sticker on my car yet. I reside in a Tea Party enclave and I don't want my car vandalized.
Salem Stitcher said…
So sweet that he stopped to talk. At first, I thought you were going to say he stopped to berate you for your bumper stickers. That's what I expect to happen around here...but then, you know where I live...