Sunday, January 20, 2013
Each brought her own project to work on. I had put the finished granny squares up on the wall the night before along with the lattice and cornerstones, and pinned them together in rows with labels on them, so the assembly went pretty smoothly. I did most of it yesterday and finished today.
Here it is with a sample of the Baba Ganoush that I plan for the border. I only have a half yard and need to order some more before I can finish.
Joe is of the opinion that the turquoise isn't right, but he doesn't have a better suggestion.
I think my problem with this little quilt is that it has too much color in it. I believe I'd like it better if it had about half again as much gray as it does now.
I love making these blocks. I don't love trimming them and latticing them, though. I use the method that I originally learned for them, cutting squares all the same size and then after assembly, trimming those outer zig-zag edges. This method wastes fabric. But worse, unless one is careful to the point of perhaps OCD with the assembly, the trimming yields little V's here and there, some of which protrude into the seam allowance.
I know I'll make more granny square quilts. But next time I am going to just cut the squares for the center and two surrounding rows, lay them out on point, and cut side triangles to fit. This will yield a nicer result and be better for my nerves.
I like that pink inner border.
Posted by Nancy, Near Philadelphia on Sunday, January 20, 2013