Home From India

The other night I had dinner with my young friend from church, the one who went to India for several months back in the autumn. She participated in a women's empowerment program where one of the skills the ladies were taught was sewing. She posted on her blog of a need for sewing machines for those about to graduate from the program.

I went on to say I'd send money for one machine (small, hand-crank models, they sell for $65 American) and would see if I could rustle up support for a couple more.

The results of the rustling were written in this blog post.

Mandy shared her story with us as we ate dinner, and then she shared some of her photos (she's gifted with the use of the camera) and talked about how much she misses India. "I think about it every day," she reported.  She said that the program director was so appreciative of my help in funding the sewing machines, he sent me a beautiful small zip purse as a thank-you gift. We made arrangements for her to share her story at our Circle meeting near the end of May. And then she pulled out another bag. Something she'd picked out and brought home for me.

Indian fabric.

I told you she was a terrific girl.




Comments

Janet O. said…
Wonderful, Nancy! I look forward to seeing what you create with those fabrics.
what a wonderful surprise....got any ideas?
Barbara Anne said…
How delightful and unexpected to receive these thank-you gifts! Love the fabrics, of course, and I, too, look forward to seeing how you use them.

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Beautiful . . . for all the right reasons.
Anonymous said…
What beautiful fabrics! Such a nice young woman, and I'm sure a joy to know.
Laura Chaney said…
Beautiful fabric! Can't wait to see what you create with it!