When You Gotta Go

So, Quiltcon is going to be held in Savannah this coming February and the people of Philly Modern are excited to the point that they are considering hiring a bus to get us there. I mentioned this to Himself who thought it might be nice if the two of us went to Savannah at that time, eschewing the fun of the bus in favor of driving ourselves. He'd enjoy seeing the show and finding out what the fuss is all about, and if I should decide to take a class, there would be stuff in Savannah to occupy him during that time. 

The more we've thought about it, the more a few days in Savannah seem like a perfect remedy for a Philadelphia winter. Not to mention visiting our sons and grandchildren en route. The B&Bs that I've considered in Savannah are most inviting. And then there's South of the Border which we visited in December of 1967 on our way to his first duty station in Pensacola, and we'd most likely need to experience again. Oh, yes, we are warming to this idea!

And then the thought occurs:  Do we need to bring our birth certificates along in case we must make a pit stop in North Carolina? Will there be [same sex] sentries at the restroom doors demanding to see them? Will we be denied admittance without them? Or just take our chances?

We have a couple of friends in that state who would undoubtedly share their facilities with us, but Pfafftown and Winston-Salem are a far piece from the dreaded I-95. Oh, dear. Perhaps all of this nonsense will be history by February. If not, we'll plan to pause in Emporia (Virginia) and then high-tail it to South of the Border.


Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Guess who else is headed south along with you? Yep, I'm also Savannah bound, baby! Of course you are welcome to stop by, or stay here... always, you know that; but as far as being convenient to 1-95... nah, not so much.
Hopefully the nonsense will be a bad memory by February. If not, I will work on a list of friends along I-95 that will happily allow you to use the facilities without a copy of your birth certificate. Either way, I'll see you in Savannah!
Hopefully the nonsense will be a bad memory by February. If not, I will work on a list of friends along I-95 that will happily allow you to use the facilities without a copy of your birth certificate. Either way, I'll see you in Savannah!
Anonymous said…
Sounds as if your travel plans to Savannah are being well thought out well in advance. You Go Girl!! :-)
Barbara Anne said…
What fun and a lovely place to vacation - with quilts and classes to boot! Most wonderful.

I hear you on the insanity of this law in North Carolina. Our DS1 says if/when he drives thru the state, he plans not to even buy gasoline while there so he contributes nothing to the state for as long as this law is in effect.

Hope your family near here misses whatever bug has given me the general miseries and fever to nearly 103*F for the last two days.

Hugs!
Patty Nordahl said…
We are now living in Savannah so this news excites me greatly as time gets closer I will contact and began a meeting. When we first started to visit in Savannah we stopped at SOTB. We also had a first visit in the 60'S. Looking forward to your reaction. I truly that NC will be a non issue by then.
Patty Nordahl said…
Boy did I fail both typing and proof reading. I am sure you got the gist