Ladies of the Lake

I can't remember how many years ago my [currently inactive] little swap group decided we needed to make Lady of the Lake blocks. We used WOW and sea-color batiks, and I ended up with a massive stack of LOTLs that promptly went into the cupboard. My friend Kathy got hers put together last year and jazzed them up with some red-orange HSTs. I liked what she did and picked up some red and white lobster fabric with a similar plan in mind.

Now, you know, almost every January 1, almost every quilter vows, "THIS is the year I finish up the UFOs!" and then starts something new. But this year, so far, I've taken six flimsies to the machinest, picked them up, and have most of the bound. One -- Polar Vortex -- has gone to its forever home.

Over the weekend, while foraging for a possible back for one of the next two flimsies (see, I'm trying to stick with it!), I rediscovered the LOTLs. I put them up on the wall. They were boring. I simply couldn't muster up any enthusiasm about sewing them together. I even messaged Kathy to see if she wanted to take them off my hands. Then I went upstairs to start lunch and began muttering to Himself about all the work that had gone into those dratted blocks and how uninspiring they were. He had no idea what I was talking about, so while I stirred the soup, he went down to take a peek at the wall. When he came back up, he said, "I fixed it."

He certainly did. His layout rocks. I couldn't wait to sew them together! (There are still twenty more, in my Guild bag now to take to Kathy.) I love what he came up with.

Now, here's the question: Should it stay the way it is? Does it need/want border(s)? If so, how many? What kind? Opinions are gratefully solicited.






Comments

stitchinpenny said…
He did a great job! I can't figure out what to do to finish it, but it needs something. It really is a very nice layout. Maybe a blue batik border finished with a darker border to encourage the eye to go to the center with all the lovely detail. You are so much better than I will ever be at this, so let your mind run through options pick a few and let him choose.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Impressed, I am. How big is this now? I'm not sure it needs borders - I really quite like it just the way it is.
Janet O. said…
How nice for you to have a designer in the family! I have a few projects that could use his discerning eye.
I am in the "no borders" camp, unless you really need the quilt to be larger. If it can be used in its current size, then I would leave it alone and bind it with a dark blue. The large, bold graphics lend to a modern feel and they are more often borderless than not, IMHO.
AnnieO said…
Wonderful layout, how nice you had help! I vote no borders, with Janet!
Anna said…
I think we did those 2 years ago. I still haven't finished mine so don't feel bad. I wanted to mix some green blocks with them that I still have to make.

I think himself did a great job on the layout. I vote no borders as well.
Happy Stitching!
Barbara Anne said…
Dynamite layout for these blocks so "Well done" to your sweetie!! Sometimes it takes a fresh look to see the possibilities. I do love the fabrics!

I vote for a simple border to unify the whole.

One border I did that I still love, love, love surrounds a busy quilt center. It's a narrow black TOT first, a 1/4" dark turquoise border next, and the same black TOT for for the outer border that's was cut the sum of the first two border widths. Will send you a photo. This wee quilt also had a rearrangement of its mini blocks for an (IMHO) a show stopping improvement from the hum drum first layout.

Hugs!

Tanya said…
Your husband has a future as a quilt designer! I'd say that marvelous quilt doesn't need any borders but you'd better ask your new designer. He probably knows best!
Nann said…
That setting is a nice solution to your dilemma. I'd say "no border" to preserve the strong "negative" space where the four white triangles come together.

I was in that swap and I, too, added red-orange HSTs. I put some red-orange into the piano keys border as well. A Quilts of Valor stitcher was delighted to have the top.
LizA. said…
funny, I just pulled my blocks out last week and was playing around with them, trying to find a setting I liked. I find it amusing that you, who started this swap, decided you didn't like them......
nhuthuy said…
Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.