MAQ Report Part Three

The food at the cafeteria was truly delicious, and somewhat sophisticated at some of the meals. We were impressed. This is the breakfast I chose on the last morning.

MAQ is put on by a board that serves for two years. This year's event was the second for the current board, and it was time for a new group of organizers to assume their roles.

Saturday night's important business was election of the new board who will organize and present MAQ 33 and MAQ 34. The entertainment was show-and-tell from the various first-and-second days' classes.

The variety and talent were mind boggling. The antics of the exhausted and nearly slap-happy board members had us giggling. Door prizes, a multitude of them, were given out and I was pleased to win one. It was a generously filled bag with books, patterns, FQs, and an abundance of thread! Not everything was something I would use, so I was glad to share the thread with Judy, and to set aside a couple of things for another group to use for prizes. The grand prize was a tuition-room-board fully paid trip to MAQ 2020, plus early registration! Everyone was very, very tired, but one had to be present to win a prize, so we all hung in there.

We deliberately chose hand work for our Sunday class. We didn't want to be lugging machines around late in the afternoon of our last day. Our teacher for English Paper Piecing with Hexagons and Diamonds was, again, Debby Kratovil. I can't say enough good things about this woman; she is brilliant, she is funny, she is no-nonsense; she is a fine teacher and seems to be a fine person. Debby had three projects for us to tackle on Sunday and Judy and I managed to complete one and get pretty far on a second. We were tired and had a long drive home, so we left class an hour or so early and didn't attempt the third project.

No matter. We had had the most wonderful time! We turned out to be very compatible travel companions and roommates, and there is nothing we would change about the venue, the teachers, the classes, the evening programs, the meals, the ambiance, the wonderful new friends we met.


MAQ 33 is on our calendars for July, 2020!

Comments

Nann said…
Catching up on your three posts -- like you, I find out about interesting quilt events that have been going on for years but unknown to me. What a great discovery this one is for you. (Sorry for the tortured syntax.) I remember Debby K. from her designs for Quilt Magazine. Foundation piecing is a technique that takes some practice but the results are worth it.
Janet O. said…
This sounds like a quilter's dream retreat. I am glad to hear it was all so pleasing--and what a bonus to win a nice prize!
Several years ago I discovered the winter retreat I now attend, and it had been going for about a decade. I attended the first year with a woman I had been matched up with by the sponsoring shop owner (who knew us both). We hit it off so well, we have attended together ever since. But it is only 3 days out of the year, and I am thinking I could do with something to break up the rest of the year a bit. Wish I could find something like this retreat a little closer to my home.
Barbara Anne said…
It's apparent that you and Judy hit the jackpot on this wonderful retreat and also that you were both gracious, appreciative, and happy campers. Nice!

I, too, wish something like this was available locally but actually I'm out of the quilting loop in my area, so perhaps there is a similar retreat near here. I'll have to check into that.

Hugs!
Helen Johnston said…
What wonderful reviews of MAQ 32. As one of the slap happy board members, thank you!