It's Beginning . . .

We haven't put this wreath up in a good many years and I'm really glad Joe decided to do it this year. We have two of our children and their families visiting us this Christmas and I think we both felt more of an impetus than in recent years to do the decorating.

Joe put the candles in the windows yesterday and we've decided that rather than turn them on and off each day, we're just going to leave them on around the clock, except for the ones in the bedroom.

We haven't picked out a tree yet. The past two years I've bought very tiny trees at Whole Foods; they came with a string of miniature lights and straw ornaments. They were cute enough, but there was something lacking.

We haven't had a floor tree in a long time. The table-top trees seem to work best for us now. So I think perhaps tomorrow will be the day to take care of that.

Meanwhile . . . 

These three guys came home from Stockholm with me a few years ago.

These Swedes have moved around from the windowsill to the mantel and now this year they've landed on the buffet. The collection has grown over the years.

A tray from my counted cross-stitch period, some angels, and The Thorsens who join us each year at Christmas.

We bought our Nativity set the second Christmas we were married. We were living in Pensacola and couldn't afford to go home for the holidays. It turned out to be a lovely Christmas nonetheless.

Comments

Janet O. said…
Perfect place for the wreath. :)
I think my husband is hoping for the day when I will cut back on decorating.
Looks like a great nativity set. Appears to be handcrafted--was it a local artisan or from another country? Sorry to be so nosy about it. I am drawn to hand crafted nativities.
Patty Nordahl said…
The Swedes on the Buffet look like the group that lives at our house. Having lost my husband of 53 years in May I haven’t done any decorating. I’ll be going to my son’s house for a couple of days so I will enjoy their decorations and company. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Quiltdivajulie said…
We do table top trees, too (four of them in fact). The two floor trees were gifted to young couples with new houses and not enough funds to buy their own trees. Happy that you felt the impetus to decorate this year - the activity itself is meaningful and satisfying, even if we only do it for ourselves.