A Dream Come True



As a child, I wanted so much to take ballet lessons. Some of the other girls in the neighborhood were doing this, and also taking tap dancing. I didn't care a bit about the tap, but oh the ballet! I asked my parents and was told, flatly, "No." I never asked why. That wouldn't have gone over well. I got library books about girls studying ballet; I would no sooner take Noel Streatfeild's Ballet Shoes back to the library than I would check it out again. I didn't care about attending ballet performances (not that I would have had that opportunity either); I just wanted to do it. On our first trip to Sweden, when I saw the Degas sculpture that was on loan at the Glyptotek Museum, I had trouble tearing myself away from it. The memory of that yearning was strong.

When Sherry was a little girl, she took dance lessons for a year or so at a local studio. Neither of us can remember why she stopped.

Caroline began taking lessons at Miss Jane's studio when she was three years old. It's been good for her in so many ways. Her posture is superb. She is graceful. She understands dedication. She is confident. She doesn't know what stage fright is. She's going to be twelve in a couple of months, and at this point she is at Miss Jane's several nights a week, taking -- I think -- five classes. She's finished all of the Arabic numeral classes, where one is placed by age and moved into the Roman numerals, where one is placed by ability, and this September she was invited to join the pre pointe class.

Two weeks ago, Sherry sent me a photo of Caroline at the store, wearing her first pair of pointe shoes.  I was astonished to find tears in my eyes as I looked at the photo. A few days later came a picture of my granddaughter wearing the shoes (for just five minutes at this stage) in class. The other evening I was asked to perform a special service for a special person. The pointe shoes come in a bright purple mesh bag; it is important that they have the air circulate around them when they are off the feet (oh, I'm learning so much). And the thing is, every girl in the class has a pair of pink pointes in a purple mesh bag. So they need to find a way to personalize that bag, so no one picks up the wrong one.

I had a fine time this afternoon fussy cutting and bonding farm animals doing warm-up exercises onto a purple bag. Caroline's young, and loves animals. I think she'll be pleased. When she grows older and wants something more sophisticated, I'll just take that piece off and make something else. 

After all, it's my dream come true -- just twice removed.
Yes, this pair is the right one.

Pointe class.



Comments

Helen said…
This blog entry makes me smile. She looks absolutely stunning in her pointe shoes!!!
Janet O. said…
What a sweet way to live your dream. That looks like one happy dancer--and how can you not love those animals on the bag?!?
Barbara Anne said…
The purple bag with its animals is so perfect for a lovely ballerina with a sweet smile! Oh, she's a grandmother's dream come true in so many ways.

Hugs!
AnnieO said…
As always, I love your storytelling skills. I took ballet as a young girl but never made to pointe shoes, though our older daughter did pointe for a year. Lovely pics of your granddaughter and her personalized bag is adorable.
Cool way to personalize that bag! I never wanted to take ballet. My daughter THOUGHT she did and actually went to classes for three year. I was the person that worked on their recital costumes for those years. She grew tired of ballet but excelled in jazz for the next couple of years. She grew out of it and turned to soft ball where she excelled.
xx, Carol
taiqi said…
I live on an island in Puget Sound and we have a ballet class called SILVER SWANS-----guess what? Everyone is over 50. Look around and you might find a class.
Quiltdivajulie said…
I love this post -- what a beautiful young woman your granddaughter is. We have an adults only ballet group here along with a jazz group that performs at basketball games - the women have a blast!
Karrin Hurd said…
Beautiful granddaughter! I wanted to take ballet too and was told my legs were too short!