An E, Not An F

Recently I ranted about the near-constant offensive language in much of current television, "Mrs. Maisel" in particular.

Now for something completely different!

We watched the first and second seasons of Netflix's "Anne with an E," as they were released. It is loosely based on the old "Anne of Green Gables" story but with some more modern themes. 

Season Three hit the screen a couple of weeks ago and we're only about two episodes from being finished. The show has its flaws, to be sure, and I'm not going to go into them. The characters, especially the lead, are engaging. The costumes are delightful. The scenery is pretty. 

And in three seasons, no one has dropped an F-bomb. Not even once. 

I was so disappointed to read today that the series is canceled. Season Three is the end.

Comments

Emily Hunsicker said…
Sadly, I think the F-bomb sells.
Janet O. said…
Thanks for the recommendation. I have been curious about this series, but haven't seen it yet.
Anonymous said…
Anne of Green Gables still is high on my list. Dear Matthew. Movies and television seem to have lost some kind of moral compass. Maybe we as a country has lost it. I refuse to pay to be assaulted with foul language. Dotti
HÆ°Æ¡ng Lan said…
I find it quite interesting for myself to thank you
http://www.y8game.net/
http://y8-y8.us/
http://www.mariogame.net/
Quayquilter said…
I agree with you about excessive use of bad language especially when words meant to portray extreme feelings are used as regular adjectives so they are just offensive and devoid of real meaning or impact. However we started Series 3 of Anne with an E and after to episodes had to stop as I was ranting about the complete diversion from the original books particularly the relationship between Anne and Marcella and the rewriting of history to adapt it to our own concerns is another thing I object to - obviously I'm turning into a grumpy old woman!
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
I cannot abide gratuitous profanity. Glad to hear this recommendation; I had seen the listing but hadn't selected it yet, I will check it out! Thanks!
I haven't watched Anne with an E. I LOVED Anne of Green Gables. I didn't give the new version a try because I am totally sure Terry would not enjoy it. Profanity. It has developed everywhere. Some times I just get so upset that my husband uses profanity regularly. WHY is it necessary!
xx, Carol
Barbara Anne said…
I agree about horrid language and its over use everywhere.

Here is a quote I copied perhaps 40 years ago:

"One can spend a lot of time pouring over a new dictionary. I looked up all of the four-letter words I could think of and they were all there. After people have used these words, as they are doing now, until all the nap has worn off of them and they are threadbare of meaning, what will be left to use when there is really a need to shock people into attention?"

- Elizabeth Gray Vining, in "Being Seventy"