No Tweeting Here

I'm a latecomer to all forms of social media. Once I got my first email account at AOL, I embraced it wholeheartedly. But everyone I knew had email before I did.

I read and followed numerous blogs for several years before taking the plunge, and for quite some time this blog included in the "About" section, something about "trepidation." But blogging took for me, and mine has continued while many others have ceased.

Then there's Facebook. I wanted no parts of what I imagined was a place to preen, to overshare (and, indeed, one former "friend" would often write "took a shower" -- why on earth would I need or want to know that?). But I was working at a school and the technology director urged staff to get a Facebook account so we would know what it was. While I was home with the Winter Bronchitis that year, I tentatively explored FB, opening an account and within literally hours received a message from a relative-turned-Friend, "Welcome to the biggest time-suck ever!" Over the years I've been aggravated, repulsed, turned-off, and angered by what I've seen and read there. But I've also been delighted, warmed, educated and entertained, so I've stayed.

A very brief foray into Instagram ratified my opinion that this wasn't something I needed.

It's all I can do, social-mediawise, to keep up with email and the biggest time-suck ever. My blogging has fallen off in in the years since I joined FB. Lately, I've been trying to rectify that. 

Then there's Twitter. Which I don't understand at all, and I'd like to keep it that way. My perception is that it is a place for famous people to bloviate, for celebrities to try to keep their names front and center, and for certain world leaders to taunt and offend. I don't want any part of any of that. Shouting insults on social media is so dignified, so Presidential.

In my mind, I've kind of thought of those who use Twitter as twits, a term we picked up years ago from Monty Python. Recently I thought I'd check that out and went to see what my friends at the Urban Dictionary had to say. There were seven definitions and the last one was the best:


n. someone who is a pompous idiot

Comments

LizA. said…
perfect! My husband has always said "don't take his twitter account away -- it just shows the rest of the world what a complete and total idiot he is."
Barbara Anne said…
So very true - but scary and sad and awful to the max in the context of he who must not be named.

I don't do any social media despite the fact the DS1 set up a FB account for me. I took a look there perhaps 4 times in the last two years.

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
As one who stays far, far away from FB, I am so glad that you have returned to blogging!! I've missed your presence here.
Lcrrkhs said…
There are 2 times when Twitter is valuable:

When you are at an event and it is the fastest way to crowdshare info, like "tornado coming! seek cover!"

When you are experiencing mass transit issues and tag the provider. They watch those and rectify true issues for their customers quickly, especially the airlines.

Our last president tweeted messages of hope and inspiration, or sorrow and condolences when sadly needed. The only proper way for a president to use Twitter, as you would say, IMNSHO!

KAthleen S - Normal, IL
Janet O. said…
With you all the way, Nancy. I am on Facebook only for 2 quilt groups. All of my settings are private so I have no "friends". I don't tweet or use instagram. Blogging is my social media vice, and I love it.
Definition of Twit was spot on!
Twitter is the jerk's answer to new conferences I don't twitter, IG and do very little on FB. I stay there because I can steal some great pics of my grands and great grands. For the life of me I will never understand why people have to recount every minute of their day, devulge personal information and make their disagreements public. I love the blog world. If I have a New Year resolution it is to post on my blog more often.
Happy New Year.
xx, Carol