Reminder and Update

Reminder: If you leave a comment on this blog (or any blog, I imagine), and ask a question, I need to know how to get back to you!  

Someone was interested in the fabric bowl class I mentioned in my most recent post and requested details. But she was a No Reply emailer. Here's the info, Gail. Perhaps we'll meet up at the class!


Update: The more I think about the Learning and Growing in Quilting plan, the better I like it. 

. . . Since Christmas, I have learned to make binding cut on the bias. This was something I've needed to know for a while. It wasn't difficult at all. I want to learn how to join the ends smoothly instead of the way I've always done it.

. . . I machined said bias binding on the the Triangles quilt and then had to unsew it all because I had just gone ahead and done it without doing my homework. The inside angles were just awful. I spent a long time with our good friend Google and re-machined the binding following one set of instructions I found, and all is well. The hand-stitching is going slowly (intentionally). I expect the Reveal in about a week!

. . . A friend has talked about rounded corners on quilts. She claims the reason she does it is because she doesn't like mitering. I think it is a nice look (for whatever reason). Planning to try this on the Snails baby quilt now that I know how to make the bias binding. 

What kind of Learning and Growing are you planning this year?








Comments

Barbara Anne said…
Last year I bought a pattern by Joanne Kerton called Autumn Moons and it has crescents as part of the pattern. Her patterns are sold as "Canuck Quilter Designs". I hope to finally be at ease with curved piecing and partial circles where three crescents come together. Fingers crossed and hoping!

Wishing you well.
LizA. said…
I put together a step-by-step set of instructions with a ton of pictures on how to do binding properly. We do quilts for the graduating high school seniors at our church and most of the quilters who help had terrible trouble with binding. I’d be happy to email you a copy.
Quiltdivajulie said…
I made rounded corners on the first quilt I pieced during a LQS class. I've always wanted to make another - perhaps this is the year!
I made scalloped borders for the first time in 2019 and the binding of course was curved and bias. My goals are to keep on learning, but I don't like to specify - see it as it comes.
OTquilter said…
I'm hoping to finish more and start less this year, which means I am tackling the pile of UFOs I have accumulated; it's quite a task.
I love doing bindings of all kinds, and there are two sources I have relied on since I started quilting many years ago. Very early on I bought Mimi Dietrich's book "Happy Endings: Finishing the Edges of Your Quilt," and it proved to be a very wise purchase. Everything is in there with clear instructions and illustrations. It is a very valuable resource and although it's out of print, I'm sure you can find one on the Net. And lately, I have been following Sharon Schamber's binding method using glue. Watch her on YouTube; her method of connecting the ends once you've sewn on the binding is perfection. I watch the video every time I do a binding.