Tooth Be Told

My kids were pretty little that day; the older two were prolly four and not-quite-three, while Andrew was just a babe in arms. Tom and Sherry were playing with Sherry's dolls (Flower and Lasagna) and it seemed that Flower needed a good toothbrushing. When she rebelled, her stern parents told her that she had to go to the dentist. Poor Flower had no sense at all, because she put up such a fuss that the punishment was escalated: she now had to go to the Sharp Dentist. In the next room, I laughed, and Himself observed, "Well, no one would want to go to the Dull Dentist!"

The discomfort in my tooth began just a few days before my sister and I were to leave on our quilting cruise and my Regular Dentist found the time to investigate out my problem. His exploration showed that the tooth had a crack, deep down, and would have to be extracted and replaced with an implant. It was to be a complicated procedure, necessitating a visit to a different, special (perhaps Sharp) dentist. Dr. M. rebuilt the tooth with filling stuff and cautioned me not to chew on that side. 

Right after the trip, I met with the Sharp Dentist who confirmed what Dr. M had diagnosed. The first available appointment for the Dental Experience conflicted with Christmas plans. The next spot was December 31. It was either that or wait yet another couple of weeks. We've never been New Years Eve people, so I grabbed the early morning appointment, underwent the *procedure, and slept most of the day. The Times Square Ball dropped without my supervision.

Since then, I've been surprised to discover how many people I know who have had that particular Dental Experience or are on the brink of same. It's almost like The Latest Fad -- who knew? Tooth be told, it hasn't been anywhere near as dreadful as I'd anticipated.

My scant two-week check-up was this morning. I've graduated from prescription mouthwash to Listerine and been issued a very special, soft (not sharp) toothbrush, to clean the area.  I'll go back again in a month and then a few months later will return to Dr. M. for the crown. I'm still chewing on the one side only and have begun to wonder if when I'm permitted to use both sides, I'll remember how!

*Extraction of the sick tooth, bone graft, and insertion of implant that will eventually be covered by a crown.

Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
Been there, done that, and LOVE the results. No more pain, able to chew evenly on both sides, and the only side effect was the diminishing of our bank account (even spreading it over two years so that I could max the deductible in each). Here's to the success of your adventure.
Janet O. said…
Glad to hear it wasn't an awful experience. I am supposed to be getting an implant, but I have so much jaw trouble that I have a hard time keeping my mouth open for involved procedures. Still pondering--in the meantime, there is an empty place in my mouth. :)