Tuesday, July 22, 2014
The Guild has decided that a Bee is in order for the coming year and my indefatigable friend Kathy agreed to organize it. I've not been in an actual bee previously, though I've done similar exercises.
Each participant must choose what she wants the other members to do for her, and each month a different participant is the recipient. We will make two blocks each month for the recipient.
I am asking for 9" churn dash blocks with interesting black and white for the background and bright, contemporary fabrics in orange, yellow and red for the focus. The second block reverses the request: the black and white becomes the churn-dash and the bright fire-color fabric becomes the background.
What absolute fun I had picking out the fabrics and assembling these churn dashes! I'm hoping that my month will come early in the year because I'm going to be eager to see what my bee-mates come up with for me.
Also, I'm looking forward to the challenge of fulfilling their wishes, stretching myself, and perhaps earning some new techniques.
Posted by Nancy, Near Philadelphia on Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Sunday, July 20, 2014
Believing that somebody is going to ask how those geese were made, here's what I did:
- Cut squares of telephone book pages that measured 8". Bonnie Hunter taught me this technique several years ago. Sometimes it takes me a while to actually try something I've learned!
- Cut a bunch of fabric strips, at least 8-1/2" long and of varying widths from 1" to 2".
- String-pieced the strips onto the paper, alternating blue and red with red in the approximate center. Pieced the strips STRAIGHT on the paper, not on the diagonal.
- After a good pressing, trimmed the squares to 7-1/4".
- Cut a bunch of 3-7/8" squares from white.
- Made flying geese using this method, which makes four at a time. Note that half will have the stripes running vertically and the other half horizontally. That's it!
So far I have four blocks made and two more in progress. They are the same design as Ninety Degrees in the Shade. I'll get all twelve blocks made before adding the "teeth" around each one.
Trying to be very gentle with this leader-ender; you know how mine have a tendency to get pushy and demand to be released from L-E status and convert to "real" projects.
Sewing on a Summer Sunday afternoon, Near Philadephia
Posted by Nancy, Near Philadelphia on Sunday, July 20, 2014
Thursday, July 17, 2014
While I was making this, I started a new leader-ender project. I'm using the same design as Ninety Degrees in the Shade but with contemporary fabrics from the Kaffe Fassett Collective. The blocks won't have the final 1" border around each; instead I will use some nice gray lattice and cornerstones as yet to be determined.
I want to start a sixth LQ for a Veteran, but haven't decided the design for it yet. I'm looking at my Pinterest board to see what might strike my fancy. I will delve back into my Civil War bin for the fabrics.
Posted by Nancy, Near Philadelphia on Thursday, July 17, 2014