Great Minds . . .


Today Bobbi and Kathy and I drove out to Hershey to the Quilt Odyssey show. It has been many, many years since I have attended this show, and I was looking forward not only to a day with good friends, but to seeing some terrific quilts.

There weren't a lot of quilts; my favorite part was a curated exhibit of antique basket quilts that forbade photography. I've long had a weakness for a good basket quilt. As to the rest of the quilts on display, as usual, there were far too many art quilts for my taste and far too few bed or practical quilts.

The vendors were good, but I just didn't need a lot. I bought some needles. And I did buy this dear pack of F8s. At the end of the day I told Bobbi, "You're going to love the fabric I bought," and showed it to her seconds before she pulled the identical pack out of her bag! They do say great minds think alike.

We had a good lunch, we stopped at a fine farm stand, we laughed a lot and solved several world problems. So it was a good day. But, oh, how I'd like to go to a quilt show that had lots and lots and LOTS of bed/practical quilts!

Comments

Janet O. said…
Nancy, if you find a quilt show like that, please let me know!
Sounds like it was a good day anyway. I love that you each bought the same fabric bundle. It is a pretty collection.
Barbara Anne said…
What a lovely outing to a good destination with good quitie friends and good food! Good day, indeed!

Yes, I like quilt shows with lots of yummy bed quilts on display, too.

About 25 years ago when I was a new quilter, the two most frustrating venues displayed quilts badly. The first was a small local quilt show that bunched one end of every quilt up to hang them from wooden "bows". The other was the local fair and all of the quilts were folded up and in glass display cases. In both cases, yo couldn't see the whole of any quilt. Who thought those display methods were good enough?

Hugs!
We have very small quilt shows in my area, except for the one in Chicago. I usually miss the local ones. I would love to go to the one in Chicago which is actually north of Chicago (# through a LOT of close traffic). I don't navigate thick traffic very well. I can't believe there are never any bus trips to it. Funny how you and you friend selected the exact same fabric. It's really pretty and I see the appeal!
xx, Carol
Anonymous said…
You're so right about great minds... I do like that bundle of fabric, but not sure what I'd make with it. I've gone to two quilt shows this year. The first, larger of the two, had mostly paper pieced quilts. They were beautiful and bright. The second show contained mainly older type patterns made into bed quilts. I enjoyed both shows. Thanks for sharing.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Too bad you can't make it to our local quilt show - almost all of those non-juried quilts are bed size or nearly bed size and they 're "real" quilts instead of enlarged portraits with fabric/thread work, painted, or 'art' quilts. The big shows seem to have all gone in those directions and I come home feeling uninspired (so I mostly stay away unless there are people to see while there).
Bridget said…
Then you want to go to the show in Shipshewana in June every year. Bed sized quilts of the best workmanship...some not too practical LOL But most really could be used on a bed. There must be close to 100 quilts displayed