I Press On

Oh, yesterday's post was so despairing! Today, things are much brighter!

Some of my readers provided suggestions; one even offered to take the dimensions of one of my tops and make a diagram. Readers are wonderful.

Somehow, somewhere along the way, it occurred to me that there's a recipe that will work for me:

1. Measure the length of the top and add 10-12 inches. So a quilt that is 72 inches long becomes 82 or so inches long.

2. Look at the various possible backings and choose a compatible one that is at least 82 inches long. Cut it off at 82 inches. Slit it down the middle lengthwise. In most cases this will yield two pieces of fabric 22 x 82.


3. Measure the width of the top and add 10-12 inches. So if it is 50 inches wide, it becomes 62 or thereabouts.

4. Take the number of the width of the backing before you had cut it down the middle, i.e., 44 inches and subtract that from 62, yielding a result of 18 inches. Add an inch or so for the sake of sanity and safety. Now you know that you need a piece that is 20 x 82 to go down the center, with the halved main backing fabric on either side.

5. Look through the various pieces of backing fabric and find something that looks nice with the main fabric. Make a piece that is 22 x 82. Sew the main fabrics to each side. Voila!

There's nothing wrong with piecing that center strip with left-over blocks or odds and ends of fabrics, just so long as you keep track and end up with the right length. The fewer small pieces you have, the better your machinist will like you.

Already today I have made three more backs and they are in a pile to go to the machinist. While all of this was going on, Himself passed through the room and couldn't help but get involved. He took joy in picking out main backs for all but one top! My job will be to find the centers and put them together. That one top is kind of special. It may deserve a store-bought piece of beautiful backing just for itself.

Except that kind of thinking is why I'm in the pickle I'm currently in!

Comments

Elle said…
I'm not fond of splitting a fabric and then adding a middle section. On this size I would cut each fabric the 62 wide and stitch them together with a 1/2 inch seam and press open. Voila 80-84 inches depending on width and just one shorter seam. :-)
Quiltdivajulie said…
Elle is right about her approach BUT the mix of multiple fabrics makes things SO much more interesting and helps to use up excess yardage. I'm happy to see that you've found a way that works for YOU, which is really all that matters!
First there is panic, then there is rest in frustration, then the brain clears and an idea forms. That's the way it works. Different brains think up different solutions yet each is feasible.

I smiled when I read your husband helped you to select fabrics. So Cool. Mine would do that too, but he is color blind and believe me, he knows better than to talk about color with me. HOWEVER, the affliction DOES allow him to see things in trees that I have to search for with his guidance.
xx, Carol
Janet O. said…
Look at you, doing math and everything. :)
Barbara Anne said…
Gotta love it when a plan comes together and this one certainly has. Well done!

Hugs!
Nann said…
Good to know that you've found a resolution to your dilemma. I piece backs all the time -- the challegne for me is to center the top so that I don't have more top on any one edge than batting and backing. (And if I use a pin to mark the center of the batting/backing I need to be SURE I don't baste that inside the quilt sandwich.)