Miscellaneous Musings

It's been a busy couple of weeks, with things planned and things unplanned. School has started, and things are just a bit more quiet at present. It is nice, too, that this first week of school is just four days long.

Farewell. Our wonderful houseguest, Anna Maria, has the opportunity to do a bit of traveling, and will be leaving us today instead of Sunday. It has been great having her live with us. She and Bodacious have formed an intense bond; he will miss her very much.

Ethical Thinking. I'm taking a class! One of my goals for work this year is to get more involved in the life of the school. This will include continuing my relationship with the Pre-K class, attending Meeting For Worship each week with one of the divisions, and taking a class in Upper School. Philosophy/Ethics is being offered for the first semester, and the first class was yesterday. The class meets four days per week and we'll be studying Plato/Socrates, Aristotle, Kant, and Mill. I've never studied philosphy before and it looks as though it is going to be provocative.

Flicks. When did I ever post a movie recommendation on this blog? Never, I think. This past weekend we saw "Death at a Funeral" and laughed ourselves silly. It is a short film, and very, very funny.

Books. I tried to read "Peony In Love" and didn't like it. So back it went. Somewhere I heard that you should give a book as many pages as you are years old to see if you were going to like it or not. I was generous with Peony, and still didn't like it. Anne LaMott has a new one out; I started it last night and it is very good. This woman really knows how to turn a phrase -- I loved a reference to an individual with a "mustache disorder." "Born on a Blue Day" wasn't particularly spectacular writing, but the content was fascinating; the author is an autistic savant and he has a marvelous ability to share how his mind works. I'm glad I read it.

Outta Here. Since we unexpectedly have the weekend available, we've accepted Honna's longstanding invitation to come back to the cabin in the Pocono Mountains. We'll be leaving Friday after work and hauling Windspirit along as well as some handsewing, wine, and goodies. We'll be back sometime Sunday.

Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
You're really becoming quite the gadabout!;) Enjoy every moment.