Sailboats In The Making

We're home from our weekend with Honna and George at Lake Wallenpaupack; we're a little bit hot, a little bit sticky, and a lot tired and a lot happy. The cabin that Honna inherited from her dad is comfortable and charming and a tad rustic. There's a huge deck that demands to have meals served there. The beds are comfortable and the setting just lovely. The house also has a slip at the lake, which Honna hasn't been using, since she doesn't boat.

We hauled Windspirit up with us on Friday night, arriving sometime around eight o'clock, I think, after stopping someplace for a bite to eat. Saturday morning we got the sailboat into the lake, packed Joe a lunch, and off he went, not to be seen or heard from again for hours. George had commitments at the local hobby shop and Honna and I sewed. She's working on an autumn-toned Disappearing Nine Patch and I finished up my Hot Summer Hearts and my Pay It Forward and even did some work on my Time Began In A Garden remaining blocks. We had a wonderful time together. Mid-afternoon, she mentioned having found a tiny quilt shop about twenty minutes away and did I want to go? Hah!

Someone I Know is going to need to be moving out of his crib into a big boy bed sometime in the next year and I'd had the idea of making a sailboat quilt for his new bed. Now that there's a new baby on the way, that move might take place sooner rather than later. There at this tiny little shop (that doesn't have a website, unfortunately), I found exactly the right fabric! A pale blue mottle for the background and eight terrific coordinated homespun plaids for the ships. I have plenty of "sailcloth."

Tonight when we got home I had Joe look through the various sailboat quilt block patterns and he pronounced "Tall Ship" to be just the right one. Hence another project enters the queue.

Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Perfect! Great little boy quilt-makin's.
Ms. Jan said…
A great quilt for a very deserving recipient!!!
Susan said…
It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Was Joe fishing or just sailing away the day?

I love the fabrics you found for the quilt. Joe picked a good pattern for it. I'll love seeing it progress.