I Missed the Music

I always go to vote first thing in the morning, on my way to work. The polls Near Philadelphia open at 7:00 a.m. I arrive about 7:10 and am usually Voter #8. Sometimes #6. Occasionally, in a big election, #12.

I didn't change my pattern today. I was excited to see the parking lot near the polling place filled with cars. This was different. So was the line coming out of the building! I arrived at 7:13 and got in line. People were pleasant, people were happy, people were polite. My turn came at 7:55. I was #89.

It took me about 10 seconds to vote, carefully marking each individual choice. And then it was over. I was surprised at the lump that came into my throat and the tears that came into my eyes.

I was surprised, too, at how quiet it was. I guess I thought there should have been music. Loud, wonderful, triumphant music. "The Grand March from Aida," perhaps. Or the "Rocky" theme. Or even the "Hallelujah Chorus." But it was quiet.

Which, I suppose, is right. There will be time, very late tonight, for the music.

Yes, We Can.
Yes, We Shall.


Comments

Unknown said…
That is so nicely shared. Voting is a very personal thing, I think and should be revered as you so wonderfully put it!!!

Marlene
*karendianne. said…
As always our friend n, np shares with perfect eloquence. She isn't even getting paid for this! :)

A Freebie to Love, *karendianne.
Cheryl Cato said…
Loved your blog today. I voted the first day of early voting, but I was at the Democratic Party "Meet & Greet" table outside my polling place today at 7 AM. By 9:30 AM 213 people had voted. I'll go back later to see what's happenin'. Such an exciting day!!! Can barely wait for tonight's festivities!
Gretchen said…
Great post! I am anxiously following the returns here in GA! Yes we can!
Kim said…
Yes! History has been made today!
Laurie said…
YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unknown said…
And you did! Over here on the other side of the pond we watch and wait with interest to see the developments - my 16yo daughter is overawed by the thought of seeing history made before her very eyes :o)
QuiltingFitzy said…
I'm was a smidgeon young to understand the full Kennedy impact on America, but now peri-menopausal...I'm finding myself in total meltdown to see our new President Elect accept his duties and help restore American confidences.

Way to go America!
Tanya said…
It feels as if the air is a little bit lighter and the sky a bit brighter... Expectations.