First Finish of 2018!
The Primitive Cats quilt is finished and given! This was a BOM that I started in approximately 2001, I do believe. The patterns and fabrics arrived way too often -- once each month -- in my mailbox. I made the first block immediately! I may have made the second in 2003 or so. Over the years, I lost the fabric packs for three of the blocks and when it was time to make them, I substituted fabric from my stash.
For each block, the background is pieced (and some are pieced with many, many pieces). Then the feline elements and accessories are added, and finally the embroidery.
The project came to the surface about a year ago and I was determined that I'd get the darned thing finished by Sherry's birthday. Five blocks were finished and seven were not. I picked out fabric for the missing three and put everything I needed for each block in a gallon ziplock bag: background fabrics, bonded body parts, embroidery floss. Within a month or so, all of the backgrounds were put together and the fusing was done. ALL I had to do was hand buttonhole every single piece, embroider the details, put on the frames, make the cornerstones, piece the piano keys, and put it all together! And bit by bit, it got finished! On January 2, the flimsy went to the machinist who quilted kitty paw prints all over it. Binding was a piece of cake. And last night it was given away.
Happy Birthday, Sherry!