First Finish of 2018!


The Primitive Cats quilt is finished and given! This was a BOM that I started in approximately 2001, I do believe. The patterns and fabrics arrived way too often -- once each month -- in my mailbox. I made the first block immediately! I may have made the second in 2003 or so. Over the years, I lost the fabric packs for three of the blocks and when it was time to make them, I substituted fabric from my stash.

For each block, the background is pieced (and some are pieced with many, many pieces). Then the feline elements and accessories are added, and finally the embroidery.

The project came to the surface about a year ago and I was determined that I'd get the darned thing finished by Sherry's birthday. Five blocks were finished and seven were not. I picked out fabric for the missing three and put everything I needed for each block in a gallon ziplock bag: background fabrics, bonded body parts, embroidery floss. Within a month or so, all of the backgrounds were put together and the fusing was done. ALL I had to do was hand buttonhole every single piece, embroider the details, put on the frames, make the cornerstones, piece the piano keys, and put it all together! And bit by bit, it got finished! On January 2, the flimsy went to the machinist who quilted kitty paw prints all over it. Binding was a piece of cake. And last night it was given away.

Happy Birthday, Sherry!


Comments

Frog Quilter said…
I love cats and your cat quilt is precious. It put a smile on my face. Thanks.
Anonymous said…
That really is a precious quilt. I'm sure you are glad to finish it and Sherry is happy to receive it. And I'm glad that you shared it. I'm not even a cat person, but that is one darn cute quilt.
Barbara Anne said…
Applause, applause! There is nothing like determination to get something finished and this quilt is brilliant. Love the paw-print quilting, too. Well done!

Happy birthday, Sherry!!

Hugs!
AnnieO said…
Determination and a plan finally rewarded! Very fun and whimsical quilt. Congratulations 🎊🎉🍾
Margie said…
It’s wonderful and I know the “finish” feeling. I’ve never done block of the month anything. I know me too well! I have finished four things in 2018. Last year was a disaster for my family and not much was accomplished in the crafting dept.
Janet O. said…
Congrats, Nancy! And kudos to you for your tenacity. I'm afraid I would have been tempted to give away the project, rather than a finished quilt. It is a perfect quilt for a cat lover.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Bravo!!!!! Kudos tonyou on the finish - it really is wonderful.
Megan said…
Congrats on your quilt. I have the same BOM packs - I didn't realise that it was as long ago as 2001 - yikes! I've done three blocks, I believe, but still have the block kits altogether so, one of these days, when I want to finish, I should have everything to hand. And yes, some of the pieced backgrounds are challenging, aren't they?! Well done on getting this one finished at last.

Megan
Sydney, Australia
Dee W said…
I too have this quilt. I started it when I was still working, thinking it would be something for me. Well, husband had arm surgery, then hurt his knee, got infection, spent 2 weeks in hospital, had surgery on knee, then was homebound at his mothers because we had steps and she didn't. So I dutifully put each kit in the bag with the others and it sits in my sewing room waiting it's turn. Soon I tell it, I have 2 done. We got a new granddaughter in 2002 in the middle of the arm/knee fiasco. There is hope! I'm hoping to get them done yet this year. We'll see. Congratulations on your victory!