Time Began In A Garden, Part One

Sherron and I are working on Sarah Sporrer's "Time Began in a Garden" project. I'm using black flannel for the background, and all wools for the appliques. There are twelve blocks that are 12 x 9 inches and they surround a larger central block. I've completed two of the outside blocks, aster and sunflower. The color on the aster block isn't true, prolly due to flash from camera. The plan is that I'll make a couple of blocks and then pass the patterns along to Sherron.
. . . .
The blocks don't take a long time to do; the most time-consuming part it seems is going through my floss to find out what to use for the embroidery and the buttonholing, and then going out to Michael's to get what I don't already have. Last night I bonded chinese lantern and tulips. I haven't managed to get the floss lined up for them yet.
. . . .
I have only done one wool project before, and it was a BOM where all of the fabrics were provided each month. So I didn't have a wool stash to work from on these garden blocks. Not to worry! LQS had some very nice pieces of wool squares and small bags of miscellaneous scraps. For the chinese lanterns and the tulips, I needed gradations of colors I didn't have so I took to the internet. There are several people out there selling gorgeous hand-dyed wool in gradations in strips about four inches wide.
. . . .
Which puts me in the position of having quite a bit of left-over wool once this project is finished. So I imagine I'll become a penny-rugger at last!

Comments

I love the look of wool appliqué. I have shied away from doing any because, frankly, I don't need another addiction! Can't wait to see the end result of yours.
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
These are yummy! I am working on (as for the last *ahem* year and a half) Sarah's house blocks, the ones based on scripture passages...
Samantha said…
Lovely flowers- the wool is a great backdrop!
Pam said…
Very pretty blocks. I am thinking I might need to give some wool applique a bit of a go - I love the way it looks. I see my local quilt store also now has wool pieces for sale.
Rose Johnston said…
these blocks r just lovely....the wool works great!!