Eating My Words

Before the joy of Summer Hours comes to a close a week from today, while things at school are pretty quiet, my colleague Polly and I came up with a scheme to work an hour and a quarter longer each of four days this week and then take the fifth day off. I offered Polly Friday, and I took Thursday.

It has been literally years since Susan and I got together for lunch and fabric fondling. Susan came into my life when I was 16 and at that time she was my niece. All too soon she was 16 and I realized that anyone who had a 16-year-old niece had to be very old indeed, and she then became my Relative and has stayed my Relative ever since. We've even on occasion found "Happy Birthday to a Dear Relative" cards. Now Susan has a daughter who is 16 and if I was old when she was 16, I don't know what I am now. But enough of that.

We'd agreed to meet at Kling House in Intercourse at noon, and I managed to leave early enough to stop at Log Cabin fabric shop in Bird-in-Hand (no website, unfortunately, but it's at that location where the place that sold those green rulers used to be). There She Who Doesn't Buy Much Fabric Anymore met her downfall.

But tell me please just who could have resisted these bundles (at 8 FQs for $15 no less) and coordinating yardage? Not me.

And then, just as I thought I had a grip on myself I turned around and ran smack into Bill. Yup, the William Morris Workshop in yardage. I've got the stack of FQs from the Fat Quarter Shop and haven't untied them, but fondled them mightily. I want to make a quilt for our bed out of them and haven't decided exactly what. But, you know, a person is going to need lattice and borders, isn't she? And at $6.98 per yard ($9.98 at Hancocks of Paducah), what's a gal to do?

I thought so too.

I got to Kling House on time, but Susan ran into traffic and was delayed and the consequences of that was that we just had time for a super yummy lunch and lengthy catch-up time and no opportunity to go to Old Country Store.

Which is probably just as well.

Comments

I remember the first William Morris line way back when Rose and Hubble produced it. What company is doing this line? I have always been attracted to his designs.
Salem Stitcher said…
No way to resist William Morris...no way at all.
Pat said…
Where is The Log Cabin? I'm assuming it's on the main drag, but what's it close to?
Gorgeous fabric is pretty hard to resist. There is just no contest for William Morris fabrics. Very nice!
Jeanne said…
Sometimes you have to cave! Nice selection.
Judi said…
Oh Nancy! I couldn't resist that William Morris grouping either - though I only bought a layer cake. Did I tell you we are all booked to visit Pennsylvania in May next year? Please let me know where this fabric store I haven't yet been to is located!