Julie Says


My pal Julie has been my inspiration more than once before this. She was the catalyst for the intricate R5 quilt from a few years back. Most important, she was the brains behind the SSOB and the one who convinced me that I could free piece a barn.

Lately she's been making a series of "scrapbook" blocks, using fabric scraps that had been gifted to her or left-over from other, more intentional projects. She seems to like the square-in-a-square-in-a-square concept a lot. So do I. I've been watching her scrapbook blocks evolve over the past week or so, and gradually got sucked in.

I'm not a particularly sentimental person, so I didn't have the carefully catalogued left-overs that Julie does. But I do have left-over bits and pieces from my recent foray into the super-brights that Allison Glass (and a couple of others) produced in the past six months or so. And I do have a F8 bundle of text prints I got from Pink Castle. And my white-gray-black bin has a fair amount of blurry blacks. And so, off I go. Here are four from the first seven, with more to follow. I kind of think these will go together side-by-side with no lattice, just a blurry black background quilt with these wonderful pops of super bright color.

Now I'm wondering if there are other quilters out there interpreting Julie's notion for themselves, and if so, what their blocks are like. Wouldn't it be fun to have a "Julie Says" exhibit of all of them!

Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
What a FUN idea and exhibit that would be . . . perhaps through the power of the Internet, we could pull that off!
AnnieO said…
Many of the "made fabric" blocks look a mess to me, but more intentional and interesting blocks like yours are thoroughly enjoyed! I have my eye on some text prints as well, for a word quilt.
Janet O. said…
I really like your method--the color family scraps in the center, with the word prints next, and the finish of the blurry blacks (liking that term). It is scrappy, but unified and the effect is very pleasing.
Barbara Anne said…
Love the blocks and I, too, have been wowed by Julie's colorful blocks. If I weren't starting an Amish Single Irish Chain with lots of solid blacks (a subtle variety of shades, too) and blues, greens, and greys for the small squares, I'd jump right in. Perhaps this Amish quilt will go together quickly and I can play catch-up?

Oh, did you hear the bells and whistles from here last Wednesday when I finished the mostly purple HST quilt top?? It goes to the quilter tomorrow!

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
You're off to a beautiful start!! Knowing you, your version will be done soon and I'm excited to see the finished top!!
Millie said…
Julie has given me lots of ideas. I think a "Julie Says" show would be fun! I'm actually considering doing some of those square in square blocks.. maybe someday...
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
"Julie Says"-- yep, brilliant!
Barbara Anne said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.