I Wish I Knew Ann

 

I subscribe to the on-line versions of both The New York Times and The Washington Post. The latter has a feature that I seldom read; it's called "Date Lab," where -- apparently -- the newspaper matches up a couple and sends them out on a date and then follows up to see how successful a match was made. Today's Date Lab headline grabbed me, not because I'm looking for a date (far from it), but because the woman on the date was clearly my kind of person.

It's been prolly ten or more years now since I proclaimed about the quilt technique known as paper piecing, "I'd rather give a cat a bath." How I've grown over those ten years! If I had a cat, it (oh, dear, am I supposed to say "they"?) would not be the cleanest cat one ever saw. I'd much rather paper piece, now, than bathe a cat.  I've embraced paper piecing to the that degree.

Stephen and Ann's date was a success! They've now been out together a total of three times. The vehicle maintenance supervisor and the veterinarian hit it off! Yay!

I'm sure Stephen is a fine fellow (though I can't imagine getting on his motorcycle with him) with a good sense of humor (so important). But Ann, oh Ann, she's gotta be my kind of person. On reminiscing about previous set-up dates, she said she often had the feeling that -- oh, you're going to love this -- she'd rather be spaying a cat!



Comments

Emily Hunsicker said…
You have such a great sense of humor, Nancy!
Robby said…
For many years my go-to excuse for not doing something (that I truly didn't want to do) was, "Sorry, I have to floss the cat's teeth tonight." It worked a treat. People understood I did not need to just be cajoled into joining in their adventure, I truly didn't want to go. There was one person (okay, my mom) who thought maybe I could have just said, "No, thank you."
Quiltdivajulie said…
I adopted your cat washing analogy for paper piecing and, sorry to say, it still stands. Giving our kitty her weekly shower was far less stressful than paper piecing. I'm happy you have fallen in love with the process - and thanks for sharing Ann's story!
Sue said…
Date lab was a feature in the Post Sunday magazine in the print addition. Now that we read the on-line as well, I forget to read Date Lab. However, I read that one and chuckled over spaying a cat.
Stay well, Nancy.
SSS