Vincent

 

Way back in June or July the ads started appearing on Facebook. They were for for something called Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience. I didn't know what this was, really, and it was strange that the tickets were being sold for an undisclosed location. 

But we've always been fond of Van Gogh. Once we went up to New York for a special exhibition and later we attended a different one in Philadelphia. I was delighted to have seen Starry Night at a museum in Europe. And in the past couple of years we saw a special movie at a local theatre and a documentary on Netflix. I knew that to complete All Things Vincent, we'd need to go to whatever this immersive thing was, wherever it was being held. 

So I ordered two tickets. In due time the location was revealed; in a part of Philadelphia that was unfamiliar to me, though Joe knew his way around there. Yesterday was the day.



It was wonderful. There was, of course, a time line with the significant events of the painter's life. There were quotes.There was an area where one could pause in front of a vase of flowers and watch as the vase and the flowers changed, over and over again.




There was an area that showed the three different versions of Vincent's bedroom in different iterations of his painting and then there was a model of the bedroom that you almost felt as though you could enter.

And there was the main part of the exhibit, the actual "immersion," where you entered an immense room with projections on walls, floor, ceiling, and you felt as though you were actually in and experiencing a painting. Classical music in the background muffled any talking among participants, although there seemed to be very little chatter. 

The Immersion will be in Philadelphia until February and is well worth the money and the time. The organization and logistics were superb; the staff were capable, pleasant, and helpful. I understand that it is traveling throughout the States. If you're thinking about going (and even if you aren't thinking about it), don't hesitate. It was absolutely wonderful.













 


Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
How amazing. Will keep an eye out for our area.
Barbara Anne said…
What an amazing production and it certainly rounded out your Vincent experiences!

Hugs!
Annemiek said…
Ah! Seems a great experience!
The Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam is approx. 1 hour away by train ( okay, and the shortish walk from train to the museum doors)
I go there at least once a year and enjoy it every time. Before Covid I was lucky to go to Paris and visit the Musée de’Orsay : go if you ever get the chance!
Next stop will be the “ openlucht museum” in Arnhem. They have the nightcafé painting and I really really want to see that one in real life!
Janet O. said…
I have seen a news story about this, and it fascinates me. I am thrilled that you got to go. I will hope that I get the opportunity someday.
Nann said…
Glad you enjoyed the show! Isn't it fascinating? It turns out there are two versions (at least) of these Van Gogh shows. Chicago had one and Milwaukee had the other. we are halfway between the two cities but I chose Chicago since I could take the train. That show was very good. Apparently there are other 'immersive' shows to come. (Picasso would be a good one. Or Ancient Egypt.)
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
This sounds fabulous! I'm so glad that you were able to go, and to take us along, even if only for a small "peek" at the experience.
Janet O. said…
Just had to come back here to say that hubby and I went last week as an early birthday gift to me. It was in Salt Lake City, 80 miles south of us. I was interested to see that a couple of your photos did not look familiar, and then I read Nan's comment. Maybe we saw different shows. Regardless, it was incredible--overwhelming at times, but I get that way with great experiences with the arts. I am also excited that Nan mentioned there are more immersive shows to come. Bring them on!