The Nancys

 

For years I've been fascinated by the waves of popular names for girls (boys, not so much, and I don't know why). When I was in elementary school, in our grade there were three Nancys, four Susans, and countless Carols. 

My daughter was born near the tail end of the Jennifers, but there were still a lot of them. They'd begun in 1970 after a sappy movie called "Love Story."  When Sherry went to her prom, there were three couples that went together and the other two were identified by the color of their dresses: The black Jen and the blue Jen. Some of the Jennifers, I suppose, are grandmothers now.

Currently (I checked), the girls are being named Olivia and Emma and Charlotte. And, of course, Addison and Madison. Eleanor and Elizabeth reached their peaks (again) a couple of years ago.

Last week I had a medical appointment at a very large practice. I signed in on an iPad and took my seat while the ladies at the counter called out, "Bill!" "John!" and "Pat!" I'd begun to feel forgotten when "Nancy!" rang out. As I made my way to the counter, I could see a white-haired, wrinkly lady approaching from the other side of the waiting area. "Nancy?" said the desk gal and the other woman firmly said, "Yes." And it turned out she was the Nancy they sought. (My turn did come moments later, no worries.) I noticed how old she appeared and that gave me pause.

I still know a lot of Nancys and Susans and Carols and the occasional Carole. I even knew a Nancie. And Kathys; I know a whole lot of them, too. 

Moms don't name their girls Nancy any more. They haven't for a long time. The name is getting to be almost obsolete. Like Beulah and Henrietta. 

But there are still plenty of us and if you look behind our walkers and speak loudly enough for us to hear, you'll find us.


Comments

Tired Teacher 2 said…
Thanks for the laugh. I am also a Nancy, and have been acquaintances with only three others in my life. I actually know a Henrietta: she’s 95!
Janet O. said…
I enjoyed this. I do know one Nancy that is a little younger than I am, but that is where it ends.
I don't see people naming their daughters Janet anymore, either, though there seem to be plenty of Janets in the blogging world.
Carolyn said…
I had to laugh at this. My nephew just had his third daughter which they named Olivia. Their first two are Emma and Charlotte. Looks like he hit all the trendy names! His wife is from Bulgaria and I wonder if she chose the names in her efforts to blend in now that she's a full fleged American? My granddaughters are Brooklyn and Kennedy, which I'm sure are the next trend!
Nann said…
There were five Nancys in my fourth grade class. I'm still legally Nancy but I've been Nann since my 16th birthday. (my parents had a boy's name picked out--Joseph Edward after both grandfathers--but not a girl's name. (The grandmothers were Amelia and Edith. My niece is Amelia but there are no namesake Ediths.)
Barbara Anne said…
Thanks for the chuckle! We had several Nancys, Lindas, Carols, and Gails in my Memphis elementary school. In my 2nd job after nursing school, there were 3 Barbaras so we were Tall Barbara, Big Barbara, and Little Barbara (me) without noting one of us was also black.

Hugs!
Margie said…
Nancy was my best friend in high school- I’m 86.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the chuckle today. I had to think back and I can only recall one Nancy that I went to school with or even worked with. Of course, my memory has seemed to be dimming lately. Now that I think about it, there were 2 Nancy's in my graduating class of about 375 students. There was one Flossie, a name that I had never heard before or since. She didn't go by that name and I only heard it once and that was during graduation. Thanks for jogging my memory.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Ah, yes - there were three Julie's in my third grade class (they split us up in fourth grade). Julie, I was JulieAnne, and Julie M. were the teacher's designated names for us that year. I really like the name Nancy - the girl next door growing up was several years older and named Nancy and she was like my big sister.