Three Quilts

I got some quilts back from the machinist a few weeks ago and rather rapidly got the binding on (we were re-watching Season 5 of Better Call Saul in anticipation of Season 6 to begin soon). But the weather has been uncooperative and unpredictable and we didn't have the right opportunity for photographs until today.

The pattern for this first one is Kristy Daum's "Mazed," and it is a pattern I've made over and over and over, from baby-size to queen-size. And, of course, it is different every time.

I'm prolly not done making Mazed quilts.



This little baby quilt started when I unearthed a whole bunch of Nines that Ruth had made and apparently didn't know what to do with and so she gave them to Bonnie or maybe to Helen and it turned out that Bonnie/Helen didn't know what to do with them and somehow they ended up with me. I'd forgotten I had them until I did an inspection of my orphanage and there they were. 

I had a whole lot of that purple left over from the backing for a charity quilt last summer and I thought it would do nicely for an alternate to the Nines. I was right.


And this here's Wensleydale One (yup, there will be a second because I bought a pad of paper-piecing templates), which I hand pieced in front of the Netflix back in the autumn. I know I posted my progress as I went along, but today I got to photograph the whole quilt.

My friend Sharon came to visit in March and she liked it so much that she wanted to buy it. I'm not ready to part with it (yet), so I gave her all of the left-over fabrics (there were pretty many) and taught her my method of paper piecing so she can make her own. I wonder how that's going . . . .

Here are close-ups of some of the more, erm, "interesting" blocks:












Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
Terrific way to use those nines! I so admire your paper piecing skills and the quilts that you make using them.
Barbara Anne said…
Wonderful quilts! Isn't it fun to work with various colors in the different quilts?

I have a son and DIL who would love the skeleton and arsenic fabrics and they're old enough that I suspect they'll never outgrow it.

Hugs!
Nann said…
The Mazed patches just sparkles! Good use of the 9-patches. And I've admired Wensleydale all along--so nice to see it finished. (Turns out I bought the Kingwell book with that as the cover quilt...no wonder it looks familiar.)
Vicki W said…
All of your quilts are fantastic but Wensleydale rally speaks to me. I love the elongated block.
ooh love 'mazed' and just might get a pattern...lotsa scraps on hand you know...and wensleydale is gorgeous...
Quayquilter said…
I like the Wensleydale one too though I think I would make it by machine given all the straight lines. I understand your reluctance to part with it. I would feel the same, especially after hand piecing. I am currently the other way round having returned to hand quilting after a break but machine piecing. So much fabric to get through. Not having lovely huge fabric shops at hand makes one collect too much when one does get an opportunity but now I am trying to shop my stash.
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
These are all lovely, Nancy. I made a Mazed scrappy after being inspired by yours and it won't be my last one either; it's a great scrap-buster. I really like your warm, controlled color palette on this one. Of course, I'm always a sucker for a good 9-patch, some little baby will be very, very lucky to receive it. The Wensleydale quilt is simply awesome (the fussy cut centers are terrific!). Bravo!! Hand pieced?!! Wow.