The Covid Quilt
For a few years I've kind of hoarded a FQ pack that I bought on line from someone I'd never shopped before. They were green and violet and some gold fabrics from Japan. Not taupes and not cute Japanese-y prints. But very Japanese in their tone. I thought they would be right for this design.
As I began to make a few blocks, I wasn't sure what the background would be. But then Bonnie and I went on a shopping trip and I saw some WOW stroke-counting fabric that I just knew would be right.
During the week before we left on our trip, I continued to make blocks. Eventually I had 20 and I was pleased. At the beginning I would look at the design of a block on the inspiration photo and copy it. But soon an instinct kicked in and I was making blocks from a gut feeling. On-line shopping provided a few more golds to finish out the palette.
A few days after we returned from our trip, I decided I needed to
do something other than feel sorry for myself and thirteen other people sew. Down in the studio those few blocks were on my wall. I cut some of the lattice and put it up and saw that it was good. The inspiration quilt shows the cornerstones cut from the same fabric as the lattice strips; I wasn't sure I was going to stick with that. Himself agreed. The purple that I just happen to have, left over from last summer's quilts-for-the-homeless project went beautifully with the Japanese fabrics. I cut a few squares and then I knew that I wanted to cut that plaid-ish fabric on the bias, to mimic the pattern in the blocks.
I'm liking this quilt-in-progress a lot. The inspiration quilt is 6 by 8 blocks. I believe mine will be 7 by 9. The blocks finish at 5-1/2 inches and the lattice and cornerstones at 2-1/2 inches. So far, so good.
I believe that clicking to enlarge will show the stroke-counting lattice fabric and the subtle purple plaid cornerstones.