Lancaster Diamond: January Update

 

I don't want this blog to become all about one subject, and so my plan for sharing my Lancaster Diamond on my blog is this: At or near the beginning of each month, I'll post the pictures of the blocks I've completed since the last sharing. 

This photo shows all of the blocks I completed in December plus three from January.

I've completed the easiest pieced blocks and was foolish enough to look ahead to a category called "Miniature Diamonds." Somehow I suspect those will not appear in my quilt! But who knows . . . .

At this point the quilt has a tentative name: Christmas In Lancaster.

Early in the coming week my besties and I are heading actually out to Lancaster County for a bit of retail therapy and lunch at my new favorite L.C. eatery. I will be taking my blocks along and auditioning backgrounds. I had initially thought of a pale, pale green background; my mentor suggested waiting until a group of blocks was complete and then try out a variety of backgrounds. She's pretty wise: Pale green is no longer in the running, and that's all I'm going to say about that.


Something I decided, firmly, at the very beginning of this project is that while at this point I am planning to follow the layout of the blocks in the original quilt, this will be my interpretation of The Lancaster Diamond and I will allow myself to vary as I see fit. If you enlarge the photo above, you will see that my method of appliqué is hand buttonhole. If you look closely at the block that looks like a pink flower with a blue stem and pink leaves, you'll notice that I felt moved to embroider the little pink circles in a sunburst kind of design; this obviously isn't in the original quilt.

This is the block I am currently working on. 

You can see that there is a nice little bird appliquéd (in spite of my less-than-terrific photography). The bird's legs in the photo are, of necessity, on the thick side. In the pattern/guide diagram (not shown out of respect for the author), the legs are even thicker and on the clunky side.

And this is my version of the bird block; it is bonded and waiting for tonight's television session when I will begin the hand-stitching. It likely will take a couple of evenings.

My bird, at the moment, is legless and seems to be impersonating a hummingbird who is abandoning his usual diet of red sugar water in favor of a nice yellow berry of indeterminate variety. After I finish the appliqué work, I'll consider whether to embroider some legs or let the hummingbird persist. It's too early to tell.

Also, I thought the eye in the original -- again, of necessity -- was way too large (we're not talking eagle eye here). I believe that a nice French knot will suffice and be of a better proportion.

In the original quilt this block is upside-down. Not on mine!

And that's it for Christmas in Lancaster until early February!



Comments

Dotti in CT said…
Hope you Lancaster trip is fun. How can it not be! Lancaster is the only place they have cream filled donuts filled with white sugary filling. Not custard. And sticky buns with nuts, um. Making me thinking of foregoing the new resolutions. Weavers in Manhein is a favorite stop as well as Burkholders and the Country Store. You will be in “Paradise”. Will have to wait until March for a visit.
Quiltdivajulie said…
I love the name you have chosen. Best wishes as you audition sashing and cornerstone options - if you don’t fall in love, hold out a bit longer and try again with even more blocks in hand. And have fun on your adventure!
Jeanne said…
Good progress! Your little bird is charming!
Judi said…
Gosh, this is going to be a great quilt. With so many colours used, you are very wise to wait on your background choice until you have lots of blocks.

Perhaps you will have enough in May to justify another little trip to LC??
Janet O. said…
I will be looking forward to each update on these blocks. What a challenge you have taken upon yourself. I am impressed with how you just tackle things that would make a lesser quilter (me) tremble.
Your Lancaster trip sounds like a wonderful getaway.