Lancaster Diamond: End of March Update

 

Well, here we are again with this month's Lancaster Diamond update. A lot has happened!

I've lost count of how many full diamonds and half-diamonds I've made. I do mark them off on the chart (and also count the pieces in each block!), though, and it looks as though I've made way more than half. 

The diamonds were piling up and becoming unwieldy. I knew very well that if I made every single diamond and then started assembly, I would give up. Putting the blocks together on any quilt is my least favorite part of the process. On-point is more distasteful than straight sets. On-point with lattice and cornerstones is downright odious. On-point with lattice and cornerstones with the added feature of being diamonds rather than squares was daunting beyond belief; there was absolutely no way I could do all of it at the end. I had to take a break from block-making and do some assembly. 

So, I got out a bunch of clothespins and marked each one with a letter "B" through "R." I went through all of the diamonds made (I'd penciled the block number and page number on the backs of them) and sorted them by letters and clipped each letter row together. Then I consulted my diagram and, beginning with Row B*, if I had all of the blocks for the row, I assembled it and also assembled the lattice/cornerstone row to the left of it. If I didn't have all of the blocks for that row, I made them. That part was fun -- it gave me a break from the detestable setting process.

Here we have, complete, Row "B" through "H." And tomorrow I shall pack everything up for a hiatus. I have my March Bee blocks to make (I had planned to make them during a retreat that I missed because of the Texas trip) and now the April Bee blocks are posted and asking for my attention (and they're pretty irresistible). I have a birthday present quilt plus two Halo quilts that I picked up from the local machinist after we got back from Texas; yesterday I bought the binding fabric for all three of them, and since that birthday is coming up very fast, binding will take up the next few evenings. I don't anticipate having a lot to share, diamond wise, for April, but I'll definitely post an end-of-month report.

I have to say how pleased I am with what is done so far. I really, really like the low contrast between my lattice and my cornerstones. When I tried out a higher contrast pairing, I definitely felt like that drew the eye away from the blocks. I've said a few bad words along the way, "Buggy Wheels!" being a favorite, but only a few. I'm immersed in the process and through the project I've become a more accurate piecer, a more confident quilter who no longer finds some of the blocks terrifying but rather a puzzle to be figured out. 


*I began with row B rather than A because a is a single, corner, quarter-diamond block and when I assemble on-point, I always do the corners last. This quilt has rows "A" through "S."

Comments

Annemiek said…
It is beautiful! The colour of the lattice and the cornerstones are exactly right, I agree.
Janet O. said…
Smart woman. What you have put together thus far really intrigues me. I want to study the blocks up close.
Though I have become accustomed to setting blocks on point (I love the look, so I tolerate the process), I don't know if I would be up to diamond shaped cornerstones.
I do think the subtle color difference between the cornerstones and the black sashing, really allows your blocks to shine. The colors pop, and the details sing.
Karla said…
Nancy, your quilt is going to be downright gorgeous! I love everything about it. My favorite two bad words are fuzzbucket! And son of a biscuit maker. LOL.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Younger son's favorite is FIRETRUCK (and we're teaching Little Man's Daddy some creative kid-safe angry words, too).

Your quilt is already stunning and I can only imagine how glorious it will be when completed. KUDOS to you, dear friend!!!
Barbara Anne said…
LOVE this quilt and its amazing blocks and my hat is off to you as you bravely go forth, annoyances and all. It's good to know your wizard method of sew some/piece some is working well for you.

I ran aground on my 1st quilt because all of the star blocks were identical and that = boring.

You low contrast cornerstones remind me of an almost black Christmas tree skirt I made several years ago for DS1 and his wife who love all things black. Amazing, I found a slightly glossy black and alternated it with Amish flat black for the diamonds in the tree skirt. Of course, I put a black background fabric with tiny colorful triangles scattered on it in the center of each diamond but they graciously coped with that tiny amount of color.

Wishing you well in finishing the birthday quilt!

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
Your quilt, so far, is looking beautiful.
Thanks for your idea of breaking up the process of sewing blocks together, then going back to sew more blocks. It is boring sewing all the blocks together at once.
Thanks for sharing.
Mystic Quilter said…
Amazing!! The complexity of the diamonds is mind blowing, I do admire you!
I love the angry words statement BUGGYWHEElS is great!
Nann said…
You packed a lot into this post. On point with sashing is hard for me. I get mixed up when I come to the middle rows. (I manage to sort things out but I have to pause.) And how many times have we all sewn the setting triangles the wrong way when we've turned the corner on an on point setting? In the end this will be an astounding quilt. Bravo for your efforts thus far and Undaunted Courage as you continue!