What Else Is Going On

 

Once I got those diamonds off the wall and temporarily packed away, I was able to catch up on some things.

This has been my leader-ender project while I've worked on the Diamonds and the other things going on.

I got the idea from my buddy Sharon who had a blog at one point but I don't think she does anymore. Sharon made an entire quilt out of 64-patch blocks using a variety of colors and it was a real knock-out.

My 64s are being made out of left-overs from my fourth Halo (which was just machine quilted and is in the queue for binding, so stay tuned). I'm half-way to my goal of 16 blocks. 

My project will be a baby quilt, 32" of tiny squares with a border. My Guild needs 140 baby quilts for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of a local hospital. I've committed to ten.



I may have mentioned earlier than when I was in Texas, our nephew's wonderful wife told us that Joe's sister had been making a "sunflower quilt" for her. I brought it home to finish for Lisa. The blocks are about 18" and there will be twenty-five of them. Some have all of the applique finished, and some don't. Many still need the brown centers to be applied. Two of the blocks have tiny "seed" stitches in the brown centers. If you enlarge the block, you can see them. I am not planning to do that stitching on the other twenty-three

I've worked on one of the blocks in the evenings this week and have noticed that hand buttonhole stitching is somewhat like a person's signature. Janice's stitches are larger and looser than mine.

This project is going to be in progress for a while. I'll consult with Lisa about setting once the blocks are finished.

These terrific 12"chickens are Susan's choice as Queen of our Bee for April. I had a lot of fun making them and just now noticed that one of them has a different style to her comb than the other.

I've been thinking of these girls as Henrietta (obv) and Cecelia -- does anyone else remember Señor Wences and Cecelia Cheecken?

Susan is going to have an enormous flock at the end of April!

Natalie chose these blocks for her turn in March. She requested we use greens, grays, or blues for the blocks and colors of our choice for the centers, all solids. These blocks employed a new-to-me technique for the centers and I wisely decided to baste before stitching.

I'll be eager to see Natalie's finished quilt. The blocks finish at 12".

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think one of the chickens was in a wind storm. Just a bit wind blown. Cute blocks.

Dotti in CT

Heading to Lancaster in April for some fabric therapy.
Barbara Anne said…
What a great variety of blocks and the chickens are too cute. Wonder if someone will make a block of a chick coming out of an egg?

Wizard 64 Patch blocks, too. How large to the NICU baby quilts need to be?

There are always more quilts and more ideas about quilts to make!

Hugs!
Dora said…
The 64-patch blocks remind me of an old song by the Beatles and the lyrics “will you still need me, will you still feed me when I’m 64”. Love it. Have a great day.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Wow - no wonder you packed the diamonds away. What a lot of fun goodness you shared in this post!
Janet O. said…
Have you ever put so many different projects i9n one post before? I am loving the variety. That baby quilt is going to be a fun finish.
That is quite a project you took on with the sunflower quilt. But I get the need to finish it. And I wouldn't blame you for not putting in the seed stitching.
I finished an afghan for my sister-in-law that my mother had only barely started before she died. And I don't love to crochet. But I also have a baby afghan she started that I am trudging along to a finish--oh, so slowly.
What happy chickens you have created. The different comb styles just show a little personality.
Natalie's blocks are a style of star I haven't seen before. Very pretty in those muted colors with the splash of contrast in the center.
Nann said…
Comb-over? A contrast to the diamonds but all are sparkling! Okay, a better analogy: you are multi-faceted.