COW

Warning to the Sensitive: The ultimate expletive appears multiple times in paragraph five.

It's been so long since I've written a COW post that I think the right thing to do would be to explain that many, many years ago my second friend named Polly told me I was just a COW, that is, a Cranky Old Woman. I wasn't really even that old, but I accepted the honor nonetheless. And embraced it, I might add.

There are three things setting me off today.

First, this morning when I read an article in my New York Times about people who spend between $10,000 and $40,000 on birthday parties for their six-year-olds, it all came back to me. COW! Initially, I was speechless. Now, a couple of hours later, I still can't put into words -- or identify, actually -- my feelings about this. So I'll just commend it to your attention.

Moving right along, I've noticed that since emerging from Covid, many, many more people have turned into constant interrupters. It's as though everything they wanted to say during those awful months (and years) is now uncontrollably bursting out of them. It's not, "Excuse me, but there seems to be flames coming out of your sofa," no, not at all. Just a verbal barging-in when I've started to share one of my more profound thoughts.  And due to my failing short-term memory, there's a certain urgency to my getting my utterance uttered. It reminds me of an evening back in 1970 when I interrupted a friend who was embarking on a story about an airedale terrier and he refused to continue once I'd realized what I'd done. Fifty-three years and I still wonder what I missed. I continue to admire Bob Davis's approach and actually have begun to use it on the odd occasion.

Finally, trying to find something to watch on the telly of an evening has long been a challenge in our household. Himself likes to watch a fine murder mystery, or something that is terribly, terribly complicated, or -- worst of all -- science fiction. I'll pick anything with George Clooney (but you already know that) or a nice, heart-warming story about a lost dog (not necessarily an airedale), and the occasional World War II classic. Fortunately, we both like a good period piece (we've watched Pride and Prejudice so many times that we both are silently saying many of the better lines along with the actors), most of the series that show up on Masterpiece Theatre, and nature programs (David Attenborough is our hero), you know, that kind of civilized offering. Recently, though, we've tried some of the more popular series and movies, the ones that seem to have mass appeal, and both of us are astonished at the preponderance of the use of "the F word." We haven't resorted to counting, but we estimate that in a typical 45-minute segment, "I fucking told you" and "you'd better fucking believe it" and "fuck fuck FUCK" among other variations are heard upwards of 42 times. My theory is that there is some rule, well-known to producers and little-known to the average viewer, that permits the use of that word but limits it to 42 times in 45 minutes. I've always thought this word was one to save for a truly awful happening, like coming down with Covid the day your entire family is supposed to board a ship for a ten-day cruise, y'know, that kind of thing. What the heck word do these people have for that circumstance, having used up all of their you-know-whats on having broken a fingernail?

Okay, I feel better now.



 



Comments

Ronda said…
My sentiments exactly!
Quiltdivajulie said…
I have missed your COW posts - thanks for sharing this one. And I couldn’t agree with you more. Elder son and wife have started sharing a family experience at birthdays for their now 6yo son. Last year it was a trip to the water park in KY (he chose that over a party with his school friends). I commend them for not buying into the birthday party hype (it rampages here in our area on steroids). And television - spare me. I read or papercraft or sew …
Barbara Anne said…
Amen, amen, and amen! You've said it for me and I thank you!

I read or quietly leave the room if necessary. One show we thought would be interesting was titled "Drain the Oceans" but who wants to see proof of the many underwater volcanoes that are all over the planet?? YIKES!

Hugs!
Lcrrkhs said…
If you can manage around *that* word, Welcome to Wrexham is wonderful. That word is seriously the only drawback and considering that they are talking about a business and how work can sometimes just be truly annoying / awful, it's all good.

I refused to cave to that level of pressure for a kids party. I thought I was over the top when I catered my DD's first birthday from the local sandwich shop because it was her first birthday and she was the only child we had after much loss.
Dee W said…
Oh man! We are 2 peas in a pod. My son uses that word, and I used to say something, his girlfriend has now pushed him to not use it around her mother and me. And tv is such a troublesome thing. I hate to have to be an engineer to watch tv, so i don't do the streaming thing. Granddaughter has one service, we needed to watch the 1st movie in a series, so she put her password into my tv and we watched it, but I didn't use the service any after that.

Janet O. said…
Oh, my goodness--what kinds of birthday parties are people throwing for their children? I thought I was splurging when I rented the local roller rink for a couple of hours and had my kids invite everyone in their class. It was the same price per hour no matter how many kids came, and I hated to have anyone be left out. The whole party probably cost about $75. I know it would be much more now.
My husband and I have had several conversations about the prevalence of interrupting. I guess it isn't just around here.
Language in current TV and movies keeps my viewing pretty limited. We do local news, sports, PBS, and some streaming from Discovery+, which is carefully screened for content. I don't need the trash talk and obscenities. Does anyone?
I enjoyed hearing from the COW. It has been a while. ;)
Carol Triebel said…
I'm a new reader and enjoy your blog. What is the Bob Davis manner to handling interruptions? I find myself being interrupted continually as if they don't hear me or even realize I am speaking.
Nann said…
You may have a cow whenever you'd like. I'll join you in the meadow. I watched one episode of the Sopranos (on DVD; we've never had HBO) and couldn't stand it. The profanity in Yellowstone is bothersome but since a quilting friend is involved with the series I've watched it.
Judi said…
Oh, I am with you about reserving the F word for extreme situations, which fortunately don't come up too often!

I assume program writers would claim it adds realism. Well, nothing else in the program has any realism and certainly people i know don't speak like that!
suz said…
I'm with you about the "F" word-not sure the need and find I change the channel. I very recently became a grandmother (a year in about a week for my twin grandbabies...waited 40 years and so worth it!...but I digress). Their parents are not about grand parties and lots of gifts and fairly sensible...thank heavens. Love reading your "COW" thoughts - always enjoyable!