Feeding the Hungry

 

This graphic shows up on Facebook and, I imagine, other places each year, although it doesn't usually appear until sometime in November. I volunteer at our local food pantry and have some thoughts to share about the Reverse Advent Calendar.

I have no argument with the basic premise. Advent is an excellent time to think about families who are food insecure and to try to do something to help. My quibble is -- well, where do I begin?

--Most likely, your local food bank won't be open on Christmas Eve.

--Even if it is, all of those twenty-four items must be checked for dates individually and then put on the right shelf. And we're talking twenty-four different shelf locations here. One of this and one of that, oh my, the processing is so time consuming!

--Oh, and wouldn't it be nice to have the food available for the families a week or so before Christmas rather than a week or so after?

--Everything on the Reverse Advent Calendar list can be bought with SNAP benefits (what some of us know as Food Stamps). People also need laundry detergent, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste (and a new toothbrush would be awfully nice), dish soap, and sanitary napkins. And at the grocery store, all of those things must be paid for with cash, not food stamps.

--The list is weak on protein. Sure, there's peanut butter. And there's tuna fish. But how far does one little can of tuna go to feed a family of four or more? We kid about Spam, but it's a source of protein. So is canned chicken. So is canned salmon. 

So, help feed the hungry -- not just during Advent, but anytime! And here are some ideas to consider:

--Instead of a lot of different things, just buy a case of something. Something you like that has some decent nutritional value.

--Consider purchasing non-food, personal care items.

--Ask your food bank if they have space to store things like milk, bacon, eggs, fruits and vegetables.

--Revisit shelf-stable protein and perhaps purchase a canned ham or two (or more), canned chicken, large size cans of tuna.

--Expiration dates matter!

--Think about your own pantry basics like flour and sugar in five-pound bags, cooking oil, and fun items like chocolate bits.

--Make your goal to deliver to the food bank the first day of Hanukkah, which this year is December 8.

Thank you for thinking about all of this.

PS: Canned mixed vegetables are gross and, frankly, IMNSHO, canned carrots should not even exist.



Comments

Barbara Anne said…
What excellent suggestions you've made and based on your experience in staffing a food bank, they are valuable. Yes, people need to eat 3x/day every day so why is the emphasis one of this and one of that during Advent, and as you said, going up to Christmas Eve???

Every little bit that your budget allows will help someone.

Hugs!
Annie said…
Excellent suggestions Nancy! We did a reverse Advent calendar at my churches last year and actually focused on non-food items that can’t be bought with SNAP. I asked one person who sent monthly checks in odd amounts what he was doing. Loved his response: “I tithe 10% of what I spend on my family’s groceries each month to my Food Bank.” We can’t all afford to do that much, but cash is useful to let the Food Bank purchase what’s needed in bulk. All of these suggestions make us more aware that we all have needs and be a part of our community. Thanks for your ideas!
Dee W said…
I belong to a stitching group that for years swapped Christmas ornaments. So one year, someone said, I don't need another ornament. How about we pool the money from stitching ornaments and donate it to somewhere. So, we now do a collection at our February meeting, and donate it to the food bank. People eat in February too! My mother in law used to run the food bank in our little town. She'd tell my husband that they could use something, he'd go out and buy a case or 2 of corn, or peas, pork and beans. She knew he'd buy things that kids would eat. We are now with the food bank my group donates to, so it comes home to us too.
Quiltdivajulie said…
A most excellent post full of really good suggestions (younger son would echo each and every one and he has volunteered in several local food support groups at area churches through the years).
Janet O. said…
As a former volunteer at my local food pantry, I can concur with your insights.
(And I also concur with your opinion on canned mixed veggies and canned carrots. I cannot bring myself to buy canned peas, either, but I guess not everyone has the luxury of fresh and frozen veggies.)
Nann said…
Our woman's club used this list for a couple of years. The first year we brought our 24 items to the food pantries -- no club meetings because of Covid -- half to one pantry, half to the other. Second year we brought our 24 items to our December holiday party and then delivered later that week.....This year we asked members to bring new, unused can openers to the first ("opening") meeting of the year. They were taken to the two food pantries -- because so much food pantry food comes in cans.

I think the point of the list is that it is a helpful gimmick, one that a family can use. Parent and kids at the grocery store, going through the list, identifying and choosing, then making the delivery as a family.
Juliann said…
Such good suggestions. The food programs in my area have really switched gears the last few years and are collecting dollars instead of cans since they can purchase items at a discount. Makes so much sense. Some of those suggestions for canned items alway make my stomach churn. Why would I donate things that I would never have on my own shelf?