Year End Rant

 

Okay, before 2023 is a wrap, this COW*needs to moo  about a couple of things she has seen way too much of on Facebook.

First, do-it-yourself or -- worse -- purchased charcuterie boards. About every fifth post that comes to me has to do with the ins and outs and ups and downs and this and that of a charcuterie board. Is this something one really needs instruction on? My son-in-law made one several Christmases ago. And I suspect he did not have to take a lesson in arranging cheeses and grapes and a couple of meats. I haven't looked at the prices of the charcuteries-to-order; I don't need to because (a) I don't want to buy one and (b) I already know said prices are sky high.

Then we have the posts that put me to shame. You know, the ones where a 70-year-old grandmother has invented the bra of your dreams. Frankly, this 70-something grandmother would  rather be quilting (assuming my mojo has returned) that working with a protractor and some elastic (you can see that I'd have no idea where to even begin).

Finally we have -- oh, how do I complain delicately about this -- what's-her-name. Because I don't know her name. But she's a reasonably attractive young woman who wears a fashionably baggy sweatshirt and posts videos of herself mourning the loss of her baby daughter. This isn't someone I know and as far as I can tell she isn't someone that someone I know knows. Why the heck do I get these? Every day and sometimes more than once a day. I think they are all different but I'm not about to play another one (apparently I must have played one once, weeks or months ago) to find out. My questions: (1) Why would any grieving mother make videos about her loss and publish them on Facebook to "public"? and, of course, (2) Why in the name of everything holy does Facebook think these would interest me?

Okay, I feel better now. Mooing off for now.


*Cranky Old Woman

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
Good question. I don't bother with FB, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of the 'social media' things as I just don't have the time. I'd rather read or sew.

Christmas Eve night DH fell after missing the last step in our tri-level home and landed on his right knee on the tile floor - OUCH!! I'm now on nurse, cook, push-chair person, and laundress duties as well as calling on angels to help him upstairs to the bedroom or downstairs to the TV. Thank goodness there is a bathroom on upper and lower floors! He is improving but prayers still appreciated.

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
COW to COW - I am so glad I left FB (and IG) behind years back. Whatever good there might have been has been lost to the likes of what you describe.
Janet O. said…
Had a good chuckle through your rant. I'm sure those things would bother me, too, but I am rarely exposed to Facebook.
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
There’s less and less there of interest to me either. 🐮
Margie said…
I stopped my Facebook account two years ago and my blood pressure was thankful. My daughter lets me know if there is something I need to know. “Need to know” does not include what Karen had for lunch or what Shane found at the thrift store.
Nann said…
FB keeps pushing posts from groups I don't want to join and "reels" that I don't want to see. Clicking "see fewer posts like this" gets nowhere so I scroll past. But if I weren't on FB then where could I post my daily success (or not) for Statele, Worldle, WordHurdle, Wordle, and Connections?

The best definition of charcuterie: "Lunchables for grownups."