A Leg to Stand On

 

I've kind of known, deep down, that the day would come. And I wanted absolutely no parts of it.

But we have a family trip planned for this summer, and as we slogged through January, I came to realize that my then current left  knee wasn't up to the task. My primary physician recommended an orthopod who, it turns out, had replaced three knees among two of my Circle sisters. So, mindful that time was running low and surgery was hard to schedule, when I saw Dr. Knee on 1/31 and he mentioned having just received a cancellation for March 11, all hesitation flew out the window.

The next weeks were filled with many kinds of preoperative appointments and tests, as well as physical therapy. And then came March 11. I have to say that literally every medical professional I've encountered during all of this has been splendid, caring, supportive, and very good at explaining.

I had a bit of a rocky beginning, with some unpleasant reactions to pain management and to anesthesia; I stayed over one night and came home the next afternoon. Outpatient PT has begun (and it's hard), Joe has done his best Florence Nightingale impersonation, and poor Lizzy is still convinced that the walker is an enemy who clearly has entrapped me and that she is the likely next victim. Family and friends have been lovely and my pastor will never know how much it meant when I opened my eyes that night and found him settling into the chair beside my hospital bed. Floral tributes have arrived, equipment has been loaned, my chef neighbor showed up with glorious things to sample. So I'm in good hands and through the first very, very terrible week. My personal cheerleader (my daughter's mother-in-law) has sent carefully timed emails, texts and cards, painting what has been a very realistic picture of my process. My recliner and ice packs are my new BFFs.

So that's my story, guilty as charged, looking forward to having a leg to stand on once again.

Comments

Janet O. said…
I have not endured this process yet, but loved ones have. I am witness to the pain and struggles through therapy. Glad to hear you are in such good hands, and hope the arduous parts are behind you sooner than you hoped (well, maybe it is too late for that). Prayers will be lifted for your full recovery.
Judy Cloe said…
Having had both knees replaced, in 2008 and 2009, your post reminded me of those post-op days. Yes, ice and my recliner were my good friends as well. I am here to tell you that it was all worth it. My knees are teenagers now and I am pain free and strong. You will be too!
My quilting bee has started a Queen Bee exchange this year after I shared your posts with them. So far it has been big fun. Thanks for the idea.
Barbara Anne said…
Ah, long gone are the careless days when body parts did their jobs without grumble or pain! How wonderful that you had such excellent medical care and especially those good explanations that help so much. Wishing you a smooth recovery.

If your new knee was made by Exactech, our older son may have designed it as he is makes the engineer's designs tiny and workable!

Hugs!

Lori said…
I hope you are "back on your Feet" soon!
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Prayers raised for rest and speedy healing! I know that it's hard but I also know that you're strong, determined and will emerge on the other side of this ready to tackle the world. Sending much love! XOXO

Quiltdivajulie said…
What a most excellent post on what has been a challenging week. Glad you have great care and good information to work with and, like Mrs. G. said - YOU CAN DO THIS! (my turn is coming . . . likely for both knees).
Millie Quilts said…
My Mom has had both done. She was pretty unsteady before. She had one REALLY bad one, and the ortho decided to do the OTHER one first. While that sounded counterintuitive at first, his logic was that when this one was BETTER she would be more able to get around and then it would be easier when she had the bad one done. He was totally right. Now she doesn't even need a cane. But the process was tough. Go you and how lovely to have such a grand support team.
Aviator said…
Appreciation for your thought-provoking content. Your post resonated with me. Explore our dedicated blog for Aviator game enthusiasts.