Merricks Nth: "Early" September Update

I guess it's about time.

I've known for quite a while that the block with the dreaded lozenges just wasn't going to happen. Not for me and not in this lifetime. But its replacement's plan had been eluding me. I considered going with clusters of HSTs or perhaps some mini log cabins. And just couldn't settle on a plan. 

Then it dawned on me that the reason for that unsettled feeling was that what I thought I really needed was something that was specifically "me." 

Like embroidery.

So I asked the nominal head of the household to draw me some flower skeletons, kind of like the ones that he'd created for Pick A Petal. The ones that looked like dandelions. Except this time I was planning on light purple. Kind of like chive blossoms. At least that was my original thought. I outlined a square and he complied with my request, creating a field of flowers. But when I started embroidering, the whole chive thing went out the door (or blew in the wind) because the flowers that were showing up were not real ones, at least not any real ones I've seen. They were just what happened. Mystical, ethereal blossoms.

The finished element needs to measure 16.5 x 20.5. Currently we're at 14 x 17.5. I'll need to sit with this for a bit to see what's going to happen next. Because, it seems, it really isn't up to me.




 

Comments

Juliann said…
That embroidered block is a wonderful addition. I am always looking for ways to make published patterns more like me too.
Kathy said…
So perfect to add a block that is essentially 'you'. Sometimes we are definitely NOT in control of what our work needs. Glad yours is 'talking' to you!
Quiltdivajulie said…
What a quilt wants, a quilt should have. Good for you for listening. I like the embroidered flowers - a lot.
Nann said…
I went to a lecture by Victoria Findley Wolfe two days ago -- she says, "What can you do [to this block/this pattern] to make it your own?" And you are doing just that!