Do You Like My Hat?

 

When my older sister's daughters were preschoolers, one of their favorite books was Go, Dog. Go! It was read so often that most of the family had it completely memorized and, of course, when my children were born we received a copy of our very own. One of our favorite bits that has survived longer than sixty years is the one that goes:

"Do you like my hat?"

"I do not."

Please don't ask me to explain why everyone on that side of the family automatically inquires as to the likability of a hat when a new one is worn. It's just something we have to do.

About fifteen or twenty years ago I bought a pattern for a hat. The Amy Butler hat, to be precise. I've always liked hats and readers of this blog may be familiar with the straw one that I take along when we travel in the summer. I was sure I was going to make this hat.

. . .

Time passes.

. . .

Early last week I found myself thinking about that hat and decided that if I could find the pattern, I was actually going to do it! 

Bobbi and I went to check out a delightful new fabric shop that is Actually In Philadelphia and I took the pattern along because I needed some sort of interfacing. When my friend saw it, she told me that everyone but everyone is making bucket hats this summer. Who knew? And then she posted a picture of hers. It was da bomb. 

So I downloaded the free pattern and dug out some nifty fabric that Sherry had given me and this morning set to work. This hat is smaller and perhaps easier than the Amy Butler hat and I learned a few things by making it. I still want to make Amy's hat. Maybe this weekend . . . .



Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
Great hat! If you have never visited Agilejack’s blog, she has been on a bucket hat making binge with some pretty awesome hats with loads of color and fun photos. https://agilejack1.com/
perfect for summer! for me and my daughter the book was "whose mouse are you?" which we can still recite...
Barbara Anne said…
Delightful hat and thanks for the link! I like hats, too, and since getting lupus, must hide from the sun year-around as it can cause lupus flares (makes you more tired than usual).

Will also check out Angilejack's blog!

Hugs!
Quayquilter said…
I hope you like your hat- I do!
Louise SS said…
That was my son's favorite book! And I do like your hat!