That Quilter from Across the Pond

 

I think it's been more than twenty years since the friendship began. It was back in the day when one could search the internet for "quilt block swaps," and come up with a half a dozen possibilities. After participating in a few of these, Bonnie and I decided we would run one. I no longer have any recollection what blocks were swapped, but it was the first of many swaps that we would jointly or individually organize.

One of the participants in that first swap was from -- gasp -- England! And her blocks were beautiful. Her name was Judi and Bonnie and I always referred to her as Jude-EYE, partly to differentiate her from our friend Judy and partly just because that's the way we are.

Bonnie's correspondence with this woman took off and at some point Judi said she was coming to the States to go to the old Lancaster show. Bonnie impulsively offered her a place to stay before the show and a wonderful friendship was formed. The three of us took a class together and were nearly thrown out for bad behavior. Bonnie and I went on to make a lot of quilts. Judi went on to become a quilt judge, quilt teacher, quilt lecturer and pattern designer.

And she comes to the States every spring, unless there's a pandemic, and spends an evening at my home  with Bonnie and me and the rest of the gang and we always have a wonderful time together.

This May Judi brought me a wonderful hostess gift: the templates to make this quilt that she designed (pictured above). After twenty years, she knew I would love them and I've been itching to get started but had too much else in the queue until now.

I know someone who is expecting a baby boy this autumn. And I just happen to have some perfect fabric. So tonight I began work on Block One. And it felt so good!

Stay tuned.



Comments

Barbara Anne said…
How delightful and I love the quilt! Enjoy the process of using those wonderful templates and your chosen fabrics.

In 1997, I became friends with a workmate of the Australian AFS exchange student from our HS (1969). Did you follow that? The workmate was/is a quilter and so was/am I, so my HS friend from Australia connected us up! We're still connected, have met once when she won a room at the Paducah Quilt show (1999), and we stayed together. Then in 2000 we did a Ping Pong swap, each making a 12" block and passing the blocks back and forth until 3 borders had been added. Then in 2002, we and two quilting friends in each county did a PP6 swap during which our center blocks had 5 borders added! It's been so much fun! I'm glad your UK friend comes here more often (barring pandemics, of course).

Hugs!
Ms. Jan said…
Is that Judi Kirk? She was the Zoom presenter for our Guild last week, and was very interesting. I'm sorry I couldn't sign up for her workshop.
Judi said…
I have often blessed the day when I very tentatively signed up for that Patriotic Stars swap.

It brought me a delightful set of friends near Philadelphia, and a very special one - your lovely sister Bonnie, who has mentored me in more ways than she knows. In particular, she held my hand, cheered me on and proofread all my work for the quilt judging course!

I can't wait to see your finished quilt. Which method of sewing curves are you using?
Hey that wuilt will be lovely in the blues........
so many friends stuck up over the internet.....just because we sew.....